Skin cancer

A place for people affected by any type of skin cancer, including basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma, to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

Forehead flap recovery from infiltrative BCC

Teddi
Posted by

Hi Frankie and Janet, 

So sorry to hear about your hospitalization for sepsis Frankie, that was quite a scare I'm sure! I hope you are on the mend and getting your strength and determination back. Hi Janet, glad to hear your nose is looking better all the time. 

I wanted to update you ladies about the laser procedure. One week after the big move, I was seen at an aesthetic plastic surgery center in a nearby larger city. It was an AMAZING experience. Every single person I encountered there was wonderful. I did not feel dismissed or concerned about their abilities. They thoroughly explained everything including how they manage procedure pain (yes, this was a bit painful). My instructions were neatly outlined in a binder and all of my post procedure supplies were provided on the day of the procedure. They even signed me up for an online secure messaging system so that I could send daily pictures post procedure to reassure me that everything was going as expected. Today is day 4 post laser and I still look like "fire face" as my husband says but overall I am quite pleased and anxious to see my final results. So far, so good! 

Take care ladies! 

Teddi (Tracy)

Libra55
Posted by

Hi Tracey 

Sepsis how did you contract that I'm glad you survived to tell the tale it's not fair is it that you get that while recovering from surgery. 

Why do you have to massage the area every day what does it do to improve things? Do you use any particular cream or will anything do my instructions didnt include massaging just cleansing with a fragrance free cleanser then moisturiser .

I think family and friends say what they think we want to hear I have a mirror and I know I'm not back to the old me yet if ever but with a bit of makeup it doesnt notice much.

I hope you feel better soon

Take care

Janet 
Libra55
Posted by

Hi Tracy

Its good to hear from you, i was wondering how you were getting on with a new clinic and happy that you have a caring one this time.

So you've had some lasering done and i understand completely the term "fire face " its a good description, i found it took quite a while till it faded i was told all redness should have gone by 3 months and its certainly faded a lot in the 10 weeks since i had it done, i do put a little bit of makeup on till its completely gone but im out and about as normal with no self consciousness.

I was asking the other Tracey about massaging as i was not told to do it after the lasering so what do you do massage or not.

did you get the bump fixed that was bothering you on the eyebrow area id love to see some photos when its all done.

My surgeon told me it takes a full year to heal properly so after 5 months i cant complain still have a bit of a numb nose though apparently that takes 9 months for all the nerve ending to reconnect.

keep in touch you and Tracey are the two most like me and my journey its good to compare

bye for now

Janet 
Teddi
Posted by

Hi Janet, 

Today is day 5 and the redness has faded a lot. I will use the oxygenetix to cover in a few more days. I ended up doing the entire face in order to treat the new actinic keratosis spots under both eyes as well as my forehead and nose scars. It's A LOT of red face, haha. I had Lumenis Deep fx and Active fx CO2 fractionated laser. It was an impressive red and somewhat bloody mess that has improved amazingly over the last 5 days. So far....I'm very happy. Kinda like a face lift and scar treatment in one!

I am not massaging currently because of the "fire face" thing I have going on but I have been gently massaging and pushing on the spot near my eyebrow since my revision surgery back in November. The laser seems to have already lessened the bump quite a bit. I will send some pics when the red resolves more and you can actually see what I'm talking about. The effects of the laser may not be completely visible for up to 3 months. 

I too am still numb in my forehead where the original flap came from and even into my scalp. My original surgeon said that probably won't come back, too much nerve damage there. The nose still feels like it belongs to someone else but it does seem to get a little more feeling as time goes on. I can blow my nose without looking in the mirror to find it  : -) 

Keep in touch, I agree that you and the other Tracy are most similar to my situation as well and it helps to hear your stories. 

Take care,

Teddi (Tracy)