Forehead flap recovery from infiltrative BCC

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 18 replies
  • 22 subscribers

Hi

I've had the forehead flap done after treatment for infiltrative bcc on the tip of nose

The surgeon wanted to blend the flap into the skin near it for a better finish using frexal laser but 10 days later it looks worse so red and angry looking he has just put me on antibiotics so I hope it improves

Has anyone else had this happen and if so what treatment did you get after lasering and how long to recover

Thanks Janet 

• Hi Janet

I'm sorry to hear how lasering has left your skin looking. I've not had this done so don't have any experiences to share with you.

I'd not heard of a "flexal laser" so googled it but couldn't find any information about it. I've also put it into the search facility in this group but again drew a zero so it may be that no one here has had it.

I did find quite a few people who mentioned the possibility of having treatment when I just put the word 'laser' in so it might pay you to do the same and then respond to those who were thinking about it to find out if they actually went ahead and what the outcome was.

When you have a minute it would be really useful if could pop something about your journey so far into your profile as it helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Edit Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

I hope your skin calms down soon

x

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion?

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Hi

Thank you for answering it seems no one has had the same experience as me as no one has joined the conversation

But thank you for bothering

Janet 

• Hi Janet 

To edit your post just click on 'more' , which you'll see at the end of your post, and then choose 'edit'. Once you've edited it click on 'post' and the new version will appear in place of your original post.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"
  • Hi Janet

I was wondering how you were doing and if your forehead flap is now looking better than it did?

x

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Hi

thanks for asking as no one else has replied to my post i feel that nobody has had a mohs nose procedure except me.

Its better than it was slowly healing but the laser treatment to blend the flap to my face has left a red horse shoe shaped area on the bridge of the nose and although its been nearly 4 months since the surgery im impatient that it isnt healing quicker than it has. 

I was hoping someone on the site would come forward and say thats exactly how it was for them and offer suggestions

I read other peoples posts but haven't found anyone in my position to ask but again thank you for being in touch

Janet

• Hi Janet,

I had the forehead flap repair of nose defect after MOHS for BCC infiltrating as well. I think you are a bit ahead of me in terms of the stages of "repair". I have had MOHS, then flap for four weeks, then separation, then revision of separation as well as steroids injected in nose and yesterday steroids injected in reinsertion site near eyebrow. WHEW! It is ALOT isn't it!! I am scheduled for a fractionated laser of forehead and nose plus a few lesions on cheek in 4 weeks. I'll let you know how that goes but I think this is very individual in how our skin responds. My surgeon has given IV antibiotics pre and post op in all instances and for laser I will have pre op antiviral and pre op antibiotics but I did have to ask about it. I have seen a lot of pictures of the laser treatments. Some look really angry and red and some look red for a bit then resolve in 2 weeks. I have sensitive very fair skin so I'm a little worried. I discussed this yesterday with the surgeon and he assures me that we will "go lightly". I told him I would rather have to do the laser more than once than have severe redness/sores and have to go into hiding again. This will all be at my expense as it is considered a Cosmetic phase of treatment so I figure I can make requests. : )  I hope you get answers and resolution that you deserve. Hang in there. Hugs. 

Teddi

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Teddi

Hi Teddi

Thanks for replying I begining to think I was the only one having problems.

I had my infiltrative bcc removed August 9Th what a horrible experience that was. 

I actually healed quite quickly from this so by October 29th I saw my surgeon again and though I said my nose looked like a sausage plonked there he was so thrilled he said I'm going to laser it for you at no charge ....big mistake I have still not healed from it I truly wish I had never had the laser done.

I live about 5 hours drive from the clinic so in between visits i had to send photos and i had antibiotics also and anti virals

They did give me a cosmetic called oxygenix that has covered the redness so I can go out you can buy it on Amazon I'm pale skinned as well so went for the pearl colour .

I religiously cleanse my face with this stuff they gave me and everyday when the makeup is not on I see no improvement. 

Just be patient I'm told give it time to heal it will all come good.

As you say when it's your face you react differently 

I always liked the nose I had and want it to be like that again.

I'm a paying customer too so if I'm still not happy after Christmas I will be back to him complaining.

If you want to befriend me I can send photos see what you think and vice versa

Thanks for taking the time to reply 

Janet 

• Hi Janet,

I added you as a friend and I think once you reply we can send messages and pics.  Not sure how that works but will give it a try. 

I am in the US so I will look into the oxygenix. Some of the products mentioned on this forum aren't available here and vice versa. I have been using Dermablend which is a professional cosmetic cover up and it is pretty remarkable to hide the redness but the bumpiness is hard to hide. Hats have become my best friend, I have them for every occasion, haha. 

Talk soon.

Teddi

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Teddi

Hi Teddi, 

were you told to massage your scars, at least 20 mins a day. I am having trouble we’re the flap was twisted, I can hardly touch it let alone deep message it. Hope your well

Frankie1

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Libra55 Janet, 

Ive not been on here for a while, I had MOHs in 1/10/19, definitely not for the faint hearted, forehead flap done on 2/10/19, difficult to live with as was so messy and dressing changes so painful, I had separation on 30/10/20, so am nearly 5 weeks down the line from that. I’ve been told to deep massage the scars, but the one near were the flap twisted is so painful, can’t believe what you go through for a spot on the tip of my nose, I don’t like what am left with at the moment my nostrils are significantly different sizes, am not sure if anything can be done to alter things or wether I could face anymore surgery, MOHs and forehead flap are not easy to deal with, my surgeon went into my hair line so I now have hairs growing on the tip of my nose which I hate, apparently I will have laser treatment for them to be removed? I see consultant on 13/12/19.

take care 

Frankie1