Vulval BCC??

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 12 replies
  • 23 subscribers

Hi there, I have been calling on Dr Google over the past week since I had what the dermatology consultant called a basal cell carcinoma removed from my Labia Majora. This searching has led me to this site and I just wanted to reach out to others who may have experienced this or those that may benefit from my journey.

I have had a small red lump in the area for 4+ years, initially believing it was folliculitis and was treated with antibiotics back 3 years ago. I carried on thinking it would always be a vulnerable area thus never thought much of it being anything too harmful. It always would itch in the shower and bled now and then, more so after friction and wearing sanitary wear. I tried squeezing it, dressing it (I’m a nurse :)) but because it never swelled, broke out and wasn’t classically looking infected I ignored it hoped one day it would disappear. I used to work in gynae oncology and was also a practice nurse so I knew there was potential for discomfort/disfigurement and because I never believed it could be cancer I lived with it.

Roll-on to this time last year. I went to my GP as it appeared there was a further lump underneath the skin leading to the back passage which was not visible and this seemed to trigger my brain....come on, stop being stupid and just get it checked out. The GP could give me no answer and took photos and forwarded it with the referral to my local dermatology dept. I was advised if there was concern they or dermatology would contact me. I never heard anything until 2 weeks ago. I didn’t chase it as I thought they had reviewed it and all was OK.

The dermatology clinic rang me and I was booked in for an evening appt, where the consultant looked with his visible eye and said it appeared to be an angioma but nothing sinister. They gave me the option to keep it or remove it and I  opted to remove as it was aggravating me too much, more so because of the delicate area it was in.

A week later they rang me with a Sunday appt and I jumped at it as it meant I did not need time off work. A different consultant looked at it with a magnifying viewer and told me he has only ever seen one of these before in his career, as it’s such an unusual place for it to be considering it doesn’t see sunlight. He told me it was a basal cell carcinoma. I was given local anaesthetic and he removed it, along with the lump underneath the skin. I was in total shock as I was expecting a little nick and a quick recovery. Instead I had internal and external stitches. He wasn’t able to clarify if it had all been removed and told me my results would be in the post. I had my stitches removed on day 8 and my wound is now well healed with an unscheduled week off work and putting my feet up. 

Ive written a long post because I have appreciated others stories about their cancer journey and I’d like to share mine with others that may be in the same boat even if it is just a scare.

Im now day 10 following excision and waiting for my results. Naturally I have all sorts of fears running through my head, but until those results land on my door mat I’m trying to remain super positBlushe. Fingers crossed it all works out well. Happy to share more for others! BlushBlushBlush

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community

Thank you very much for taking the time to tell us about your recent experience with BCC. I'm sure others in future will find the information you've provided helpful.

It's good that the healing process is going well and I hope you don't have too much longer to wait for your results.

Do come back and tell us how you get on.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Thank you. I certainly will Slight smile

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Wow! And Hi! 

I didn't realise you can get them anywhere on the body?! I thought face, head, legs, arms... I guess I haven't given it much thought.

I'm so glad you went though! And I also hope you're results are great when they come back, and come back soon, and that with those results you'll have a sense of huge relief!

The mind boggles with BCC, I'd never even heard of it untiI got it!

This group is invaluable, it really is, I'm so glad it's helping so many people, including myself, it's good to be able to share.

I'm glad it's almost over for you and then you can move forwards and leave it in the past.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I hope someone can take something positive from my story as I have done from others on this site! Blush

Thanks for the message and taking the time to comment. I will certainly update when the results come in.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Just a quick update for those reading - started antibiotics 3 days ago. Wound was lovely and healed and then.....surprise....a lovely abscess underneath! Has come up through the scar line so back to dressings! I thought I was too lucky to get away with no infection, considering the area it’s in! 

Healing nicely though and no sign of the results as yet. Had a sneaky ask at the GP but there was nothing! Ha!

will keep posted!!:)

• Oh, no . What a pain, quite literally probably!

Hope the antibiotics do the trick.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi

How are you doing and has your abscess cleared up? I also wondered if you'd had the results from your biopsy yet? Hopefully it's all been removed and you don't need any further treatment.

x

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Hi there,

Thanks for checking in! Slight smile

I’ve since had a further course of antibiotics which I’ve finished today....and it’s the first time over last couple days where down below feels relatively back to normal! 

Alas, my results are not back yet. I rang the consultants secretary to chase them last week. I’ve resigned myself to patience now and will just wait to see what happens Slight smile

Hope you are well too and thanks again for checking in!

I will return Thumbsup tone1Thumbsup tone1

• Glad to hear that you're feeling better but not glad to hear that you're still waiting for your results. Unfortunately I've read somewhere, can't remember where now, but there's a shortage of pathologists and a backlog of biopsies waiting to be looked at Disappointed

I'm very well, thanks for asking. My last 3 monthly check-up didn't reveal any problems so everything's going okay at the moment.

x

Community Champion Badge

• Hi

I hope the antibiotics did the trick and everything has healed nicely now.

Have you had your results back yet?

x

Community Champion Badge