BCC skin flap and apologies for hijacking another thread!

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 23 subscribers

First, apologies for jumping in on another person's thread in my another account! For some reason I can't create a new discussion, so I asked on someones thread, not realising it would affect that pertainspertains thread. So I'mI'm sorry about that!

OK, my question, in a nutshell... 

I'm on standby for the removal of a BCC tumour that's protruding from my face, and underneath my face, just under my eye.

They've told me how much they'll be removing off my face, and it's a lot, if they're correct, but they don't know how deep till they get in there.

They're doing a skin graft to create me a bottom eyelid, but because they'll have to pull my face together quite a lot, they've decided on a skin flap. Taking the graft also from my neck.

But I was that relieved I'll be asleep, I forgot to ask what a skin flap is?! 

Do they remove it from my neck and plonk it over the hole I'll have in my face? How do they join it, will it literally flap over the hole?

I've absolutely no clue!

As I say, I'm on standby, from last week until the next 7 weeks when it will be all over with anyway. I'd just like to know what a flap is?

Can anyone help me with this info please?

Many thanks 

Cat

• Hi 

I'm sorry to see that no one has been able to come forward and tell you about their experiences with a skin flap yet. I know that  has recently had a skin flap so by 'tagging' they might be able to come and tell you about it, although I don't think it was under their eye. You could also type 'flap' into the search bar in this group and have a read through the older posts.

When you have a minute it would be really useful if could pop something about your journey so far into your profile as it helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Edit Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Hi Katmalan

sorry not been on here much because of surgery difficult to wear my glasses to see, I have a paramedium forehead flap, they have basically have sliced into my forehead twisted it and covered my nose, my bcc was on the tip and septum and invaded left nostril, I am about to have flap separation on Wednesday.  I am so far delighted with the results, it’s only been 3 1/2 weeks and the scar on my forehead is fading fast to a line it’s amazing, he has already shaped my nose the only down side is that I have hairs growing on tip of my nose because he took from my hair line. 
    The plastic surgeons are amazing and I know how daunting it all is but honestly they will do their best.

I’m not going to lie it’s difficult because it’s your face but all the pictures I’ve seen of end results are amazing.

The scars will fade and they will do laser on hairs the main thing is am Cancer free and that feels great.

good luck

Frankie1

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Hi again, 

Thank you so much for all of your help!  You're really kind, and I really appreciate it!

I've done the info on my profile like you suggested!

Now I'll type in flap and see what I get!

Thanks 

Cat

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Frankie 1!

Thanks for replying to me!

I'm really glad things have worked out great for you! Fab news!

I'm not bothered about scars, I just want the cancer gone.

You've said they've used skin that's been kept intact? He's told me he's taking the skin from my neck to use to make the flap. So that sounds a little different?

I think because they know how much of my face they're taking, there wouldn't be enough there to do as they've done for you?

I guess I'll know soon enough!  But I have to say, I'm fortunate enough to have the best plastic surgeon doing the op! 

Did you have to be awake for it?

Cat