Operation on Thursday

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 22 subscribers

Hi Guys, just after some words of encouragement. 12 days ago I was told I have skin cancer. They are not sure what kind of cancer it is so I'm having a operation on Thursday to remove the whole growth so then it can be tested. I am really nervous for this as the growth is about 5mm from the inside corner of my eye and its a local anaesthetic operation. Scared does not come close. All sorts of rubbish is going through my head. It's the operation process that's doing my head in more than anything else at the moment. Please can anyone help 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Twisted,

I’m not sure if it’s any help but I had a bcc removed 4 weeks ago and found this group really helped me. I totally understand you being scared of the operation itself, I was the same. I’m needle phobic and not been in hospital since I was a small child so was terrified. I was actually offered sedation for my op so although I was awake and talking, I don’t remember a thing about it. Is that something you could call the hospital and request. I was told it’s actually quite common for people to have sedation, even if they aren’t needle phobic. I came round just as they had finished and was back on the ward eating toast and drinking tea pretty soon after. The pain from the op was less than I had expected, I’d had a large area removed from the side of my nose and then a full thickness skin graft. Have they told you what to expect? Please try not to worry, it’s all over very quickly but do speak to them about sedation. As I don’t remember anything I feel ok about the op. Take care x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thank you so much for this. I am so going to call the unit in the morning to ask about sedation. If could have this it would so make me feel a whole lot better.

They went over what would happen but to be honest I didn't really take it in due to the shock of the diagnosis. 

Just want it over now as the last 12 days have felt like 12 months. X

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I totally understand as I didn’t remember a lot either. In fact my gp told me they would just give me a quick injection and scrape it off, no worse than going to the dentist so when I actually say the consultant and heard the words skin graft I was absolutely shocked. 
    I went to my gp in April and only had the op in September so it’s good they are getting you in so quickly. Hopefully it’s a bcc and once it’s out that should be it. They should definitely be able to give you sedation though, it was offered to me because of my needle phobia (even though I still had to have a needle) but like you I couldn’t imagine going through it awake.

This group has been great to hear of other people who are and have been through the same. Let us know how you go and honestly as someone who was terrified and is now 4 weeks the other side, it wasn’t as awful as I was expecting. Xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Twisted    Just to let you know, I have a suspected bcc nodule in the inside corner of my eye(between eye and nose)   i am seeing a consultant next monday.

I know how you feel..it is so close to the eye..and very scary, the thought of needles.

Today you should be having your operation..I do hope it goes well..let me know how you are.

All the best