Skin cancer

A place for people affected by any type of skin cancer, including basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma, to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

Surgery yesterday for BCC

Lovesroses
Posted by

Hi murphy1965 

I’m so glad you posted I’ve been thinking about you and wondering how you were doing. It sounds like you’ve been through the mill bless you. As for feeling tired I too wasn’t prepared for it and could have slept 24hrs I think! You have to go with it as I think it’s just your body healing after all the stress. 

Be prepared to feel very weepy as well, I’m normally a very positive cheery person but I got very low and found myself reduced to tears on more than one occasion just out of the blue and again I think this is because of what we’ve been through and all the weeks of worry beforehand. I feel your frustration at being stuck in the house! Drove me bloody insane Lol 

You will feel better once you start to get out and about and are able to get back to normal a little although it does seem like your journey may be more involved than mine but it will all be ok in the end.

I had my stitches out last Monday and the scar is looking better every day and I was able to get Dermatix Gel on prescription so that was a big help.

Look after yourself and don’t worry about your hubby doing everything I’m sure he doesn’t mind even though we hate it, I was the same but my partner kept reassuring me that it really was ok amd kept saying if you love someone then you look after them ( he is a gem bless him )

Take care chick and wishing you a speedy recovery x

murphy1965
Posted by

Hi Lovesroses,

I hope your recovery is going well and you’re getting back to normal as each day passes.

i had a hospital appointment this morning so left the house for the first time and even drove there myself. Husband not completely happy with that but he knows I will do what I feel up to. It was actually a wasted journey in the end as whoever booked the appointment didn’t read the surgeons notes properly as 6 days is apparently far to early to take the pressure pad off and he had asked to see me in 10-14 days. New appointment made for a week today although his list was full so he’s squeezing me in first thing. Disappointed I still have to have this sewn into my face but trust that it’s for the best. Apart from the trip to the hospital where no one really blinks an eyelid at what you look like, I’ve still not left the house yet. To be honest, I’ve felt really wiped out but I feel a bit brighter each day that passes.

I’ve accepted that the husband is going to have to do all the dog walking and cleaning for now and although he therefore has a very long day whilst I’m sat around recovering, I would do the same if the tables were turned. He even managed to wash my hair last night although it looked hilarious. I was led on my back on a kitchen bench with my head over the bath BUT it worked and I have clean hair which I’m so grateful for.

So for now it’s another week of waiting and then get this dressing removed, after that I’m not sure what happens I guess the graft itself must have stitches that need removing. I did forget to ask when I can start walking the dog and hoovering again but as I can’t get this dressing wet, walking could be risky in this weather.

Are you back to feeling fit and walking your dogs etc now?

Lovesroses
Posted by

Hi murphy1965

Oh what a pain when you think something’s going to happen and then it’s put back eh?  On the bright side you got outside which is good and on your own which is brilliant. 

You’ve made me laugh out loud at the vision of you washing your hair but the relief of clean hair is fabulous isn’t it? Who’d have thought we would have rejoiced in such simple things?

I was told no hoovering or walking the dogs for at least a week and I think your wound sounds worse than mine so do as you’re told even though it’s hard and don’t try to do too much.

The first time I went out was for the stitches removing and I just drove around after my appointment like I’d just been let out of prison and was seeing everything for the first time in years! Then next day I took my dogs out for a good old stomp along the coast path and think I just about walked both mine and their legs off bless em. I felt like William Wallace in Braveheart shouting Freedom! Apparently I’ve been like a caged lion  ( my partners words to our neighbor lol ) but i bet you know where I’m coming from.? 

I’m getting back to normal thank you although still not back at work yet. The bit in the corner of my eye and nose is still very tender and feels quite peculiar to touch and if I bend over too much it pulls so still a way to go I think. I’m still very concious of my scar even though everyone else says it’s looking brilliant and have to remind myself that it’s still only three weeks since surgery.

Good luck for next week with the dressing etc and let me know how it goes.In the meantime try not to climb too many walls ! 

murphy1965
Posted by

Hi lovesroses, 

Hope you’re continuing to improve as each day goes by. I meant to ask, I’m sure you had the skin flap surgery so do you have to have further surgery to complete the flap?

Reading a bit more about skin grafts and removing bcc’s on the nose I have now got an understanding of why I will likely need more. The surgeon kept saying I had a small nose with little cartilage and my nasal valve is likely to be affected which in turn will cause me problems. That along with how it looks are the reasons for the follow up surgery. Apparently when you remove bcc’s from the side of the nose, if they have to take a lot of the muscle and cartilage then the nasal valve doesn’t work which in turn means it restricts breathing as the valve doesn’t work and the nose basically collapses inside. As it is I can’t really breathe in and out of that nose so we will have to wait and see.

I did venture out for a short walk under the cover of darkness last night with my husband and the dog, it felt lovely to get some fresh air at last. Starting to do a few things but still under instruction not to do much. Made me laugh when I emailed my husband to suggest I could try doing some hoovering and I got a reply simply saying “do not, do not DO NOT attempt hoovering”!!!!!

I hope you’re getting out and about more and your scar is continuing to heal. I will let you know how I get on after my appointment on Tuesday xx

Haha I can so understand the walking once you were allowed out and if made me laugh imagining you shouting from the cliff tops, hilarious  

Lovesroses
Posted by

Hi murphy1965

Hope you’re still doing ok? Stitches out tomorrow will be good and then you’ll feel better.

i did have flap surgery but not a forehead one, more of the skin was rotated somehow to cover the area on the the side of my nose. It feels pretty weird to touch as though it doesn’t belong to me but have to say it’s improving every day! I don’t need to go back to the hospital for any more surgery just let it heal.

Had my results back on Friday and it was confirmed as a BCC which has been excised with a good margin so all good. 

I am out and about now and still very self conscious of imy scar but I think that’s more in my head than anyone else’s. I’m lucky that’s it wasn’t anything worse. Life is good and I count my blessings everyday for what I have and for the things that money can’t buy. 

Good luck for your hospital visit tomorrow and keep me posted. You’ll soon be out with your dog again

Take care x

murphy1965
Posted by

Hi lovesroses,

I hope your recovery is still progressing and you’re getting back to normality?

Saw the consultant again yesterday and he took the pressure bolster off and said the graft has taken and healing nicely so far. Feels great to have those stitches our that were holding the bolster down as they were beginning to feel very uncomfortable. The donor site on my neck is healing and has disposable stitches and the graft itself also has disposable stitches all the way around so no more stitch removal. What I wasn’t expecting and was very shocked by, was the huge crater now where the left nostril was. I should have been prepared as he had told me a few times and also before he would let me look but it still came as a shock. It looked like someone had taken a melon baller and scooped a piece out of my nose....or as a friends little boy said in all innocence “it looks like a little bomb went off on your face”. Out of the mouthes of children eh but he’s actually spot on. Still the surgeon has explained that it’s just where the pressure bolster was pressing it down for two weeks and it will gradually come back up over time. He likened it to pressing a thumb down hard on my leg for two weeks, once removed I’d have a big dent in my leg but it would fill back in.

So, he definitely can see that I’m going to have a v shape out of the end of my nose where he had to go so close to the edge and also due to lack of cartilage I may have issues with the nasal valves.We are going to let it settle down now and see how it looks in 3 months and go from there. Right now if it’s just a v shape missing I think I can live with that as I’m not a vain person and the work he’s suggesting will mean two more procedures. Going to hope that it all heals and doesn’t look too bad. In fact it looks the worse it’s ever looked right now and I’m back to not going out as it’s so awful to look at and he said I’m not to cover it. Still the worst is over and it’s two weeks since the op so just got to be positive and gradually get back to a bit of normality. Shame it’s not Halloween this weekend, I could really scare the kids.

i was very fortunate to have a fantastic down to earth surgeon who has been really supportive and understanding all the way through. He’s actually made the whole process so much easier and I think he’s made a huge difference to how well I’ve coped with it all. Onwards and upwards from here....well it will be once I get out and about again xx