Skin cancer

A place for people affected by any type of skin cancer, including basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma, to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

Bcc on nose, treatment options

Frankie 1
Posted by

Hi it’s Frankie1, 

I would ask if MOHs surgery is suitable for you apparently it’s 96% accurate in getting all of the cancer, it’s gold standard for treatment of bcc and squamous cell cancers, and although I didn’t want it or the forehead flap it’s the best for me, because mine is in such an awkward place, I have googled pictures and they are awful not going to lie, but the after pictures are amazing, 

good luck xx

Birdwing81
Posted by

Hi all,

Just an update.

Wasn't too impressed with the oncologists manner!  the first thing he said was so you are a sun worshipper then?  This is the funny part I look like the last person that would step onto a sunbed/sunlounger!  How to set thikngs off on the wrong foot.  I guess it must be from childhood, but I feel like ive had a scar there for a long time hence why I didn't act on it for so long.  Saw a photo from 3 years ago and there it is, albeit much smaller.

Anyway back to the story... radiotherapy sounds logistically like a great option - 10 mins a day for 2 weeks, easy to fit round childcare etc. But I'm not sure I can like with the fragile skin afterwards - avoid knocks?! with a 3 and 4 year old!! and chance of recurrence and secondary malignancies.  He was very blasé about these risks, as if they didn't happen, but they do!  He wanted me to see a MOHS surgeon before making the decision though which I thought was good.

So I have opted to see a MOHS surgeon privately and go today for his opinion.  Off work and single mum so not going to be affordable realistically but I couldn't wait 4 months to see the local NHS MOHS surgeon. Since my biopsy a month ago that removed a 5x3mm area it has already grown another few mm's since then so I can't watch it grow for 4 months, and then wait for surgery too. I'm a little worried because privately they are "selling" their treatment that I wont get  balanced opinion, but he sounds amazing on his website.  

Will write another update after the appointment - thanks for all your support!

Frankie 1
Posted by

Hi, Birwing81,

you can see nhs surgeon privately, that’s what I did because my urgent referral took a month to get typed up and sent to him, I was seen 12/07/10 and am having my surgery on the nhs on01/10/19, to be honest I’ve needed that time to come to terms with it. MOHs 1st then forehead flap then reconstruction, all should take a couple of months to do, I could not afford to do all that privately. I hope you get on ok, please keep in touch 

regards 

Frankie1 x

Birdwing81
Posted by

So to update!

saw the MOHS surgeon privately yesterday. To be honest he pretty much said what I had expected/ needed to hear! He couldn’t understand why my local team wanted me to have radiotherapy in view of my age. I was really concerned about the risks of secondary cancers, and also the fragility of the skin afterwards with two little ones who are very active and we do a lot of rough play!

So I am going ahead with it privately as he can do it on the 3rd - so 2 days after yours Frankie!  Will be a very different surgery though as he is going to do a flap reconstruction as long as it’s not spread too far - hard to know til the day.

He was also reassuring on the growth rate - said the biopsy will have just displaced the existing tumour, rather than caused it to grow. That has made me feel a lot better.

Now I just feel so lucky to have parents that can help me out with the kids post op - he advised do nothing for 24, ideally 48hrs, and pay for this - how will I ever repay them?!

x

Frankie 1
Posted by

Hi Birdwing81, 

so pleased your getting MOHs, it’s gold standard for bcc, I have been sent pictures from a friend who’s client had same op MOHs then forehead flap plus she lost part of nostril, I swear I had to enlarge pictures to even see faint line, were she had surgery and she a perfect nose you really couldn’t tell. 

Good luck 

take  care will be thinking about you

Frankie1 x

Bambilegs
Posted by

Hi

I've been told I can't have contact lenses until my eyes are ok after surgery. What am I going to do?! I am going to have to fashion some sort of spectacle holder so that I can go back to work asap!

Birdwing81
Posted by

Hi Frankie

Hope you are doing ok after your surgery? Thinking of you

x

Frankie 1
Posted by

Hi Birdwing81

im doing ok, got it in 2 goes MOHs, had flap and reconstruction next day, look like I’ve been hit by a bus, he did go in hairline but I can have electrolysis for any hair that appear on my nose , I wasn’t prepared for leaking from flap, getting it dressed is painful, 6 days tomorrow seeing consultant stitches might come out, or maybe Friday,  am pleased with the way nose looks at the moment haven’t had the courage to look at flap but husband has and is amazed by it and how it works, next op to separate it all 30/10/19, being cancer free is the best feeling, hope all good with you xx

Frankie1

Bambilegs
Posted by

Hi , glad you’ve got through ok. How are you now?

Frankie 1
Posted by

Hi Bambilegs

I’m doing ok, back and forth to hospital for dressing changes. My surgeon wants me to stay indoors until my next surgery 30/10/19, am ok with that taking the opportunity to rest. The pedicel leaks quite a bit but think that’s normal, the scar on my forehead is amazing and I feel like I’ve had a mini face lift, hope you are good

take care

Frankie1(Tracey)

Bambilegs
Posted by

It’s amazing how quickly it heals. I’m doing ok but had an allergic reaction to the plaster and tape so really struggling with that. I get the stitches out in a few days and cannot wait!

Frankie 1
Posted by

It’s a relief when stitches com out I’ve still got a couple on my hairline we’re he shaved my head and a stubborn one in my nose they come Wednesday, my new nose looks good so far, chin up keep going we’ve got this

Frankie1(Tracey) xx