Rodent ulcer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 9 replies
  • 24 subscribers

Hi all

Just looking for a bit of reassurance went to doctors yesterday as I have a raised area on my back which I have had for 7 years + I had it looked at by my GP back in 2012 and she a stated it was nothig to worry about. Over the last few months it has become more itchy and has been crusting over and bleeding alot more. Cut a long story short my new GP thinks it could be a 'rodent Ulcer' I have be refered to medical photography and will have it photographed on Monday. My understanding is this will be sent to a dermatologist who will then decide how quickly if at all I need to be seen. Anyone else been through a similar process in terms of time frames. Just worried and annoyed as I never got it rechecked sooner and I'm not quite sure what to expect. Im trying to stay away from Google but can't help panic as I've had it as long!!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello xmumof2x

sorry to hear what you are going through. If it makes you feel any better, I had a mole on my face for over ten years which I thought was a beauty spot and I ended up having to have it removed. 

With all our different stories I am sure we all wish we had done things slightly differently - I know I do - but please try and save your energy for the way forward and your appointments. 

And as you say, do really try to stay away from Google because until you are diagnosed it’s of no help really and it just sent my mind into overdrive!

good luck and keep us posted. 

Rebecca x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Sorry you have this condition , i also have a BCC , although mine is on the face so very visible.

My doc give me a priority referral a month ago , but the earliest appointment at the Dermatology dept. is 2.5 months.  So still waiting to see them. Only another 6 wks to go! Thinking of going private to speed up the process.

• Hi

I had a similar experience! I had a small red spot that didn’t heal.  So got it checked by my GP three years ago. Was told it was a derma fibroma and nothing to worry about.  Like you it bled occasionally and this summer seemed more itchy and bled more. 

I have had cancer twice so I am a ‘stress head’ over any lump or ache! So decided to get it checked privately as I couldn’t wait any longer. 

The dermatologist told me immediately it was a Basal Cell Carcenoma!  I got it removed and the procedure was painless! No worse than a trip to the dentist!

I got the pathology results this week and it is a BCC. So no further treatment!

It is frightening to think you’ve had something for so long but they very rarely spread and usually easily removed!

Good luck!

Jac

Life is what happens when you are making other plans!  

• FormerMember

Hi thank you all for replying. Went to get photographs done last week and still haven't had any word in regarding an appointment. I feel alot better about it all now esp as I have started the process of having it dealt with!! Nice to hear other ppls positive experience getting BCC removed. 

Hope u get ure appointment in soon Bee Mee and dont need to go private. Good luck xxx

• FormerMember

That vaguely pink area under my eye is where they cut out a BCC 12 days ago. If you didnt know I'd had it done, you wouldnt guess. Try not to worry, treatment isn't that bad, and you won't scare the kids after. Wink Wink

• FormerMember

Just thought I would update my post. Attended dermatology last week and had it confirmed it was indeed a bcc and also found a smaller one on my neck. The doctor seemed extremely surprised given my age(34)and how long I'd had it. I have been prescribed aldara cream to be applied 5 days a week for 6 week. Just finished 1st weeks treatment. Been feeling a bit meh really tired and a bit of a sore throat which I'm not sure but looking at posts could b side effects if cream x

• FormerMember

I think side effects are more common than people realise. My dermatologist told me zero about possible side effects. I would have preferred to have been prepared. 

• Hi

That's great news that your treatment has started and the consultant is obviously confident that your BCCs can be removed with Aldara cream (link) rather than having to have surgery. Looking at the leaflet I've attached a link to it does look like your side effects are listed under 'uncommonly side effects'.

Keep us posted with how you get on.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Hi Latchbrook

The cream has been prescribed to hopefully shrink one of the larger areas as doctor felt was too big to be operated on at present and would leave quite a large scar. Hoping the smaller ones react to the cream. 

I work shifts so put down the way I was feeling to that which it could be but just seems a bit of a coincidence.