Pathology report confirms some low level cancer cells - worried!!

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 23 subscribers

Hi All, forgive me as new to posting online but feel I need some advice and hopefully reassurance as am extremely worried. I am a healthy 38 year old Male and a few moths ago I had a pimple/spot just above my knee on my thigh. Progressively the spot didn't go away and then formed into a raised sort of bubble approx 1cm maybe... Anyway at this point I went to my Dr (after a couple of months waiting to see if it would go away) and he didn't think it was anything sinister. As a precation he shaved the lump/spot off and sent it to be checked. Time went on and no response was heard which I assumed was good news, then after 8-9 weeks I received a call from him confirming they found some very low levels of small growing cancer within the biopsy.

Obviously when the C word is mentioned I immediately panicked and am panicking to be honest - not too proud to admit I am scared having 2 small chidren.

I have now been referred to a dermatologist as they want to ensure all of it is out but that appointment is a week away...

I hate waiting for anything and not knowing exactly what to expect

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi dkely7210

Hearing the C word is terrifying, and I would defy anyone to not be upset and worried having got that diagnosis. What you are going through is normal, we all feel the same way at the start of the journey. 

TO be clear, I am in no way an expert, and what I can tell you is just what I have gleaned from research because I have a BCC (surgery Thursday), and my first instinct was to read everything I could find on how they deal with non-melanoma cancer. I think you will  potentially get a date (or booked onto a waiting list) for an excision of a bit more of the affected area, along with a discussion of what they already found and what that means. There are different types of skin cancer, but many are cured simply by removing the affected area and don't spread, so try not to panic. 

In the meantime, avoid google, it can be scary and has little to do with what you are going through. 

Good Luck

Caroline

• Good luck for your surgery tomorrow.

Linda x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Barbados Girl 33

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi all, just to provide an update, I had my consultation with my Derm who was very nice on Friday. He did not seemed phased by the pathology report, made a few noises and nods etc and after looking through it wrote STUMP? Which I now understand to stand for spitz tumor with unknown malignancy potential. In any case he could see I have been worrying and not sleeping through anxiety as well as not eating and decided to do a wide local excision there and then rather than it being booked in for a later date which i was very grateful for! Just have a 3cm long scar on thigh which is no problem at all.

He took time to check the rest of my body and check lymph nodes behind my knee and armpit confirming they were not inflamed.

appointment booked for 4-6 weeks but does not seemed concerned and told me I don’t need to worry (we all know that’s easier said than done!) which I suppose is good. I immediately felt relief knowing it had been cut out but now it’s just the wait to confirm clear or not that is going to occupy me for a while!!!

Just thought I’d post update.

thanks for your support and providing a place to vent.

• Hi there, so pleased you feel a bit more reassured and fingers crossed for your results...

Linda x