Perhaps BCC, derm on Thursday

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 22 subscribers

I have been sent off to my dermatologist by my gp. He strongly feels the changes on the bridge of my nose is indicative of micro-nodular BCC, but didn't biopsy himself as this week was serendipitously my annual skin check anyway.

Now, I know BCC isn't particularly the worst thing a person can face, but the growth on my nose for a long time looked like an age spot so I ignored it more or less for eight months or so from when I first noticed it. Who knows how long it had been there prior.

It is biggish now, spanning a half inch by maybe an inch and a half. It has recently developed some spider like blood vessels in it. 

I know I am in the early stages of this, and while I am not particularly scared of the cancer itself, I have read a bit--probably too much--about micro-nodular BCC and seen treatments. It looks like I have a big cancer to deal with (assuming it comes back as such) and am pretty terrified about the scarring and appearance after, and how extensive the damage is underneath. I did the no-no on the internet and researched enough to scare myself, so thought I would come here and find some folks who are dealing with it too.

I am not anxious about surgeries themselves--I have had to deal with an aortic aneurysm and heart valve issues, so I am no stranger to serious surgeries--but I am admittedly horrified at the possibility of serious facial scarring.

Has anyone had a BCC on significant size on their nose they had to deal with? What can I expect? 

• Hi and welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to hear that your GP suspects you have a BCC but it's good that you've been referred to a dermatologist to get it looked at further.

I haven't had a BCC on my nose so can't help with what you can expect in terms of scarring etc. However, if you have a look through older posts you'll find lots of people who were very worried about the effect of the operation on their appearance and who now say if they knew then what they know now they wouldn't have been so worried.

Hopefully, someone who has had a BCC removed from their nose will come forward to tell you about their experience but, in the meantime, have a browse through the previous posts.

x

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion?

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Thanks!

I did some more research, and honestly just come to terms with the fact that if it is BCC, I get to live in a place and time when there is something we can do about it and count my blessings there, even if it should happen to be an aggressive subtype etc. 

I have gone through the old posts here, and there is quite a bit to take heart in. In fact, I try to avoid clinical sites as they either paint the worst case scenarios, or the early stages when things seem a lot more grim.

Thanks again!

J

• Avoiding Dr Google is a good idea as even if you only have an in growing toenail he'll tell you that it's fatal!

I'm glad you've had a look through some of the older posts and feel happier about what's going to happen. 

Let me know when you have a date for your op.

x

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion?

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Hi MNJim

I'm having surgery for one under my eye on Thursday, so I get how you feel. The scarring is my big concern too, more than the surgery or any immediate discomfort after. Its a daunting thing to face, and mine went un-remarked for years before I started to get pain, so I am a bit worried about the extent of it. Still, as far as cancer goes, this is about the best of the bunch, and our prognosis is good. As for skin check, where do you get that done? I am concerned I have others, so am thinking about this as a next step.

Thanks

ScotsMagpie

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Full disclosure, I am a yank, so I just use my local dermatologist. It might be a bit different here, with regards to referals etc, not totally sure how NHS or UK private insurance works, though I am a bit envious if I am honest.

I have so many moles, and a ton of marks, blemishes, spots etc, that a skin check has to be daunting for the dermatologist too. And to think I am only 48. I cannot imagine what I will look like when I am my parents' age. I am honestly not sure what I am as worried as I am about skin grafts or scarring etc, people get fantastic results, and reconstructive surgeries, as unpleasant as they might be, do amazing work. Also, it's not like I am some young single guy trying to impress, my wife takes me pretty well with all the lumps and blemishes I do have, I am sure a few more won't hurt. 

Do you know what subtype yours is? That is the thing that scares me too, I worry about how far it has spread out of sight. I am getting some dicomfort now, but mostly dry, irritated skin on the outside, no pain too deep or anything like that.

I will look forward to hearing how it went when you come out the other side of this. I am a ways off from actual surgery yet, and being basal cell, they seem to make you a lower priority. 

Do take care, Thursday is when I go in to talk over options so I will think of you. :-) 

Jim