Rodent ulcer on the nose

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 23 subscribers

Went to doctor with infected spot on tip of nose. Given antibiotics but no change. Went back. Now need to see a dermatologist. Anxiety is through the roof. So I went to see a private dermatologist. He said its a rodent ulcer. Due to go on holiday tomorrow. He said go and don't worry. Nhs appointment falls in the week I will be away. I don't know what to do now. I am sick with worry. I can't eat or sleep. 

• Hi and welcome to the online community.

Firstly take a deep breath. A rodent ulcer, or to give it it's proper name a basal cell carcinoma (BCC), is usually very slow growing and rarely spreads. Therefore, delaying your surgery until after your holiday, as your dermatologist has suggested, will be fine.

After it has been removed you shouldn't need any further treatment but you must be careful in the sun now as, having had one BCC, you are more susceptible to having another.

I hope you have a lovely holiday and don't worry. 

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Latchbrook. Thank you so much for your reply. I feel so much better now. It went from a large infected spot then a scab. Now it looks like a Small hole. I think that's why I was so scared. Dermatologist said to keep using antibiotics cream an put vasaline on. People say it's not noticeable. But to me in the mirror it looks like a giant hole. I will go on holiday and rearrange hospital appointment. Thank you again. Rita Ann xx

• Glad you're feeling better now .

The thought of surgery can make you feel very anxious, especially if you haven't had to have it before, but removing a BCC is done under a local anaesthetic and is usually a very simple procedure. There are lots of people who have passed through this forum who have had this surgery. You could take a look through previous posts to see their stories.

Let me know how you get on and if you have any specific questions regarding your surgery just start a new thread.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Hi latchbrook. I went on holiday more relaxed after your message. To update you I have been to nhs appointment today. I am so very relieved to say its a wort. Going back to have it shaved off in about 6 weeks. So once again thank you for being there x

• Oh, that's such good news !

I'm so glad you came back to tell us as it does help other people passing through to realise that sometimes these things turn out to be completely nothing to worry about.

All my very best wishes for the future

x

Community Champion Badge