Skin cancer

A place for people affected by any type of skin cancer, including basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma, to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

Possible Basal cell

K1mbers
Posted by

Hi.. First time posting here. I've recently been told by a dermatologist that I have a basal cell carcinoma. I've been referred to the hospital and awaiting my date now. A few questions if anyone has any similar experiences and can help... I'm a 34 year old female and the leasion is on my chest wall. It appeared 2 months ago literally overnight as a 1cm itchy spot/patch that kind of looked like a bite. I was told it was fungal then maybe excema so have tried steroid and fungal cream to no avail. Saw a derm the other day and he (without any testing) said its possibly basal cell. My questions are... Would basal cell just pop up overnight from clear skin? Also it blanches when pressed? Would basal cell do this? I guess I'm just trying to get a clear picture as I'm extremely worried. It's not scaly at all. And only itches slightly. Doesn't bleed or ulcerated? Any advice greatly appreciated. I know the waiting list for the hospital is long so just trying to create some peace of mind. [edited by admin]

latchbrook
Posted by

Hi  and welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to read that your dermatologist thinks you may have a basal cell carcinoma (BCC). Please take comfort that you have done the right thing in going to see your GP who has in turn referred you to a dermatologist. The dermatologist can tell a lot about your lesion just by looking at the skin as he will be aware of the likely signs and symptoms.

Whilst it's only natural to worry, basal cell carcinoma (BCC) is the most common form of skin cancer. Most are very slow growing and very rarely spread which is why there's often a long wait between diagnosis and removal. 

Most BCCs are removed by simple surgery and are done under a local anaesthetic. The tissue will then be sent off to be biopsied and as long as the BCC has been removed with clear margins you're not likely to need any further treatment.

I hope this helps you to worry less.

Do pop back if you have any further questions and also let us know how you get on

PS I'm afraid your photo will soon be removed by the moderators as it breaches the Community guidelines which do not allow photos asking for medical opinions to be uploaded to the site

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

What is a Community Champion?

K1mbers
Posted by

Thanks for the quick response. I think it's all just come about as a shock. I'm a mother of two and obviously freaking out. But as I've only had it for 2 months I would think its been caught early anyway. Fingers crossed. Il let you know what happens. Thanks again x

latchbrook
Posted by

It's only normal to be shocked  but I'm sure you'll get lots of support from this group if you need it.

One thing that I forgot to say was that you must be careful in the sun from now on, if it is a BCC, as you'd be more at risk of developing another. I've linked you to this advice from Cancer Research UK which tells you how you can protect your skin in the sun.

I too have to be careful as I was diagnosed with a malignant melanoma nearly 2 years ago. I decided to look on the bright side of having to cover up in the sun by treating myself to a heap of suitable new clothes. Every cloud has a silver lining!

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

What is a Community Champion?

Tom77
Posted by

Hi K1mbers,

I have had 3 occasions where my dermatologist has found BCC and SCC tumors.  She was able to do a biopsy and get results to me in about 4 days.  It was a simple procedure and when the results came back she referred me to a surgeon that performs the MOHS procedure.

You might want to find a dermatologist that can do a biopsy.  You will get the results quickly.  Hope this helps.