Skin cancer

A place for people affected by any type of skin cancer, including basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma, to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

Advice needed on extra pathology tests... getting a bit anxious

Kittykatkat
Posted by

Hi all, I’m probably panicking unnecessarily but would like some advice from you guys.I recently had a mole removed and sent of for testing. I went back to the consultant today for my pre-arranged follow-up and he  told me that the results were delayed as they wanted to do additional testing. He reassured me and said it’s absolutely nothing to worry about and talked me through how they do the testing. I am wondering now though if they take a ‘slice’ from each end and the middle of the sample to check for anything abnormal then why would they need to take another ‘slice’ inbetween the ones they have done unless they have found something. I’ve had two previous melanoma in situ’s before and haven’t had a delay in results before so naturally my brain is now in overdrive thinking something is wrong. Anyone else had the same experience? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

latchbrook
Posted by

Hi and welcome to the skin cancer group

It's perfectly normal to worry when the results of a biopsy take longer than you expect.

I'm not medically trained so don't know how a mole is examined to see if it is melanoma or not. However, I do know that sometimes a biopsy is sent off for a second opinion if the first pathologist is not entirely sure it it's okay or not.

Has your consultant given you an idea of when you should get the results? While you're waiting you may like to join us over in the melanoma group where you'll find others who are waiting for their results to come back.

Let us know how you get on.

x

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

What is a Community Champion?

Rebecca Rebecca
Posted by

Hello Kittykatkat

i can relate to what you are going through as the same happened to me. Just when I thought that by having a mole removed and everything was done and dusted, I was told that additional tests had to be made, which took another ten days before I got the results. All I would say is that the most important thing here is that you have clear, thorough and concisive tests with results that you are convinced are accurate. The in between time is dreadful and very worrying but you need to have peace of mind at the end of the day.

We are all here to listen and support you and I’m sorry for what you are going through. 

Rebecca x

Kittykatkat
Posted by

Thanks Rebecca, I’m a bit calmer today and you’re totally right, I would much rather have them do thorough testing to be absolutely sure, I think the hardest thing is the waiting as my brain goes through every scenario from everything being fine to fearing the worst, but I’m telling myself that today I just need to keep myself busy and that worrying won’t help. Did you get your test results eventually Rebecca? Hope everything was ok?

Kittykatkat
Posted by

Thanks latchbrook, I don’t know when I’ll get the results, he just said a few more days so I’ll just need to wait, if kind of mentally prepped myself for the appointment so I feel a bit like the worry starts over again, but trying to stay positive

Rebecca Rebecca
Posted by

Hello Kittykatkat

I had lentigo maligna/pre-cancerous mole on my left cheek and I then had to go through a course of Aldara cream to kill off any remaining pre-cancerous cells, which I'm still going through.  The waiting, your mind racing ahead of itself and concocting all kinds of terrible stuff is the worst thing about it.  What has helped me is my very busy job - it really has kept me sane as it's been a big distraction.  I've also lent on my nearest and dearest to sound off, and I've done quite a lot of yoga.  I think it is a case of finding what works for you to keep busy and distracted.  You will also have good days and bad days.

Hang on in there, you will get there, and we are all here for each other on this fabulous site to help and support.

Rebecca x

Kittykatkat
Posted by

Hi Rebecca, I’m glad you are getting the treatment you need and hope it’s a speedy recovery. I got some amazing news this morning from the consultant that my more is abnormal however there are no cancerous cells so now that it’s been removed there is no further treatment needed! I’m so relieved and thank you again for your support and advice, it really helped. X

Rebecca Rebecca
Posted by

Hello Kittykatkat

Thank you so much for shating your wonderful news. I am thrilled for you!  My Dad has always said that “peace of mind is a great thing” so enjoy! 

Rebecca x