Skin cancer

A place for people affected by any type of skin cancer, including basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma, to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

Diagnosed BCC is growing

Pumpkin71
Posted by

Hi everyone, 

I have been diagnosed with a BCC on my scalp and am seeing the plastic surgeon in the morning. The area has been feeling really sore this week. I've just washed my hair and to my horror the bcc area is like a swollen sore lump. It's now about an inch big where it started at 0.5cm. I've also noticed a strange clicking feeling in my throat and I'm terrified that my lymph nodes are swollen. My throat isn't sore but it's like a achy dragging feeling. I know I'm being paranoid. Has anyone else had a rapid change or lymph node involvement with BCC? 

Thanks for any help it's much appreciated xx

Jane x

barbaral
Posted by

Hi Jane

Well it sounds like it's great timing that you have the plastics guy today so you can get a doctor giving everything a good poke and prod and hopefully supplying some answers soon. 

I checked the Cancer Research UK website which states with regards to BCC "It's very rare for basal cell skin cancer to spread to another part of the body to form a secondary cancer. "

On that basis, I suspect your fears are probably unfounded. But bearing in mind that your BCC has swollen, it could be you have some kind of infection - and infections often cause lymph nodes to swell. That's just guess work on my part - but I think there's some logic in the proposal.

Please let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

Barbara

“Scars are tattoos with better stories.” – Anonymous

Frances C
Posted by

Dear Jane,

I hope by now your fears have been allayed and you feel much better.  It is absolutely terrifying to feel changes and to immediately assume that they're bad things. 

I'm thinking of you and hope you are ok.

Clare x

Pumpkin71
Posted by

Hi Barbara , 

Yesterday went well and the plastic surgeon was very reassuring. From the initial clinical photographs to now there's no change in size. As to why it's become so tender he was unsure but felt it was maybe unrelated to the bcc and to keep an eye on the pain . We're going through a bit of a crap time as my mum in law has died unexpectedly in last couple of days and we're stressed to hell. I'm wondering if I've banged it without actually registering . Life eh? Thanks so much for taking the time to reply it means so much. I feel like a wimp in comparison to what other folk have to endure!

Jane x 

Pumpkin71
Posted by

Hi Clare, 

thanks for taking the time to reply, it does help and the support is gratefully received . I've just replied to barbara and explained that all went well. I feel loads more positive about it now. The surgeon was lovely and took his time. Just awaiting the day for it to be removed which can't come soon enough!

Regards 

Jane x 

barbaral
Posted by

Hello again Jane

I'm so sorry to read about your mum in law - it's clear you're having a really rotten time at the moment and stress doesn't just mess with your head, it messes with your body too. 

You are not a wimp - none of us are. There are no league tables and gold medals for dealing with cancer and something doesn't have to be enormous and life threatening to be upsetting and life altering.

Take care of yourself and try to make some time to spoil yourself a bit - it's hard when you've just lost somebody but focusing on the living can help you deal with the lost loved ones.

Best wishes

Barbara

Frances C
Posted by

Hi Jane,

I'm in the same position as you and am waiting to be referred to the Royal Marsden for radiotherapy.  I think it'll actually be about three months till I can start the treatment, but in one way that's a good thing because it shows that a BCC is not such a bad kind of cancer (if such a thing can actually be said!).

Clare x

Pumpkin71
Posted by

Hi Barbara, 

I'm sure I'm not the first to say this,  but the compassion and support that is shown in your replies, is beautiful.  

We are getting there.  Little steps and lots of tlc. 

Jane x

Pumpkin71
Posted by

Hi Clare, 

I'm so sorry to hear that you are also going through a bcc journey. I really hope you don't have to wait too long for your treatment to start. 

Like you, I do feel reassured that it's a slow growing cancer. 

Best wishes and a speedy recovery to you.

Regards 

Jane x 

barbaral
Posted by

Hi  

Thanks Jane, that's really sweet of you. I only just spotted your message as our automated alerts are up the spout at the moment so sorry for not popping back.

Really appreciate what you wrote but believe me, I get such a lot from hanging out with you all that it's a pleasure to be with you. 

Best wishes

Barbara

Reenie50
Posted by

Hi Pumpkin71

Sorry you're having to go through this and wait for results. I can't believe I am actually saying I was lucky to have had a suspected SCC which meant I had to get it removed asap without biopsy and any wait. All I can say is that it's a scary time but you are in the best hands and if you need further surgery, they will do the very best they can for you! Good luck and best wishes xx

Frances C
Posted by

Thanks Jane - much appreciated xx