Skin cancer

A place for people affected by any type of skin cancer, including basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma, to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

Bcc on scalp removal

Pumpkin71
Posted by

Hi everyone hope you're well, I tHoughton I'd share this week's events . So I finally had my bcc ony scalp removed on Tuesday this week. Had a wide elliptical excision.  Done under local all very pleasant.  Trip to the Dr's this morning. Things may be infected so antibiotics given. He said I've underestimated the operation and size of it. I thought it'd be the equivalent of a shaving cut. Instead it's something that frankenstien would admire.in my mind  I thought I'd enjoy a day off, of light lunch and maybe pop to matalan. In reality Iook and feel like shit. My head feels like it's been scalded, I'm exhausted and weepy.  It's taken all my strength to get dressed and go to the Dr's this morning. Folk in the waiting area were staring . But bollocks to them. As cancers go I've had a lucky escape. But it's left enough of its mark for me to never ever underestimate it again . ❤

latchbrook
Posted by

Hi  

Thanks for sharing your experience with us all although I'm sorry to hear that you've had to have antibiotics as your wound is infected.

Please don't be so hard on yourself. No matter what other people think having a BCC removed can be pretty tough so you shouldn't expect to feel on top of everything after just a couple of days. 

Spend the next week being gentle to yourself and try not to do too much. Hopefully once the antibiotics start to do their job this will make you feel better as well.

Sending you a gentle ((hug))

barbaral
Posted by

Hello  

Despite the ouchies and the nasty infection and the Frankenstein stitches, HOORAH that the damned thing has gone. I'm sure you'll soon be back to the light lunch and browsing in Matalan (or TK Maxx if you're feeling really adventurous) and feeling a whole lot better.  I'm sorry you're feeling quite so crappy but very pleased with your 'bollocks to them' attitude to the starers. Honestly, it'll all be so much better with each passing week and soon enough you'll look back and think it was all a bit of a bad dream.

As for underestimating how nasty it was going to be, I suspect that's probably better than many people who massively overestimate and get themselves very worked up only to find things aren't so bad. If you've been given painkillers by the hospital, take them - there are no prizes for being the bravest bunny in the field. I'm sure the surgeon didn't prepare you for how painful it would be. To many doctors these things are so routine that they just expect you to pop out the other side of the op with a grateful smile and no major pain at all.

How are you coping with trying to sleep? I can imagine having a wound on your head must be a bit restricting and very uncomfortable.

As for not underestimating cancer again - I get that totally. Just try not to let it go too far the other way and make you scared of things you don't need to fear. 

Labtec
Posted by

IvI' just had a SCC removed from scalp so painful even with painkillers. Sleep is a nightmare. and the description of burning sensation sums it up exactly. I'm just going back to the hospital. Bleeding from wound and dressing saturated. I think I will be wearing a hat now all the time

latchbrook
Posted by

Hi  

Sorry to read you're in pain again, especially as you thought you'd got it under control in your last post.

I'm glad to see you're taking yourself off to hospital to get the wound looked at. Perhaps they can prescribe stronger pain relief for you as well.

x

Pumpkin71
Posted by

Hi hope you've got the bleeding under control. And given better pain relief! In a strange kind of way it's a relief to know I'm not on my own with this experience. We can soldier through this together!  Scalps are tender at the best of times. really hope you are feeling better soon. And let's not forget we've kicked cancers arse, it wasn't going to go without a fight! 

Gentle hugs

Jane x

Pumpkin71
Posted by

Hi Barbra, I absolutely love your support ❤ today I've got my mojo back. 24hrs with antibiotics have already made a massive difference and the plastics nurse at the LGI have called to offer support too. Apparently I may have a lop sided swollen head for 10 days or so everyone has been amazing . They reassured me that my surgeon likes to do his sutures nice and tight which pulls like billy-o! But it won't pull apart, so small mercies  

Much love

Jane x

Labtec
Posted by

Back from hospital. Wound ok new dressing on. Painkillers 30/500 solpadol ( co-codamol ) 2 every 6 hours. Hopefully slowly getting better. X

Pumpkin71
Posted by

Really hope that the codeine works -it has for me.  glad the wound is okay , fingers crossed you'll get a bit more sleep now x

barbaral
Posted by

Hi Jane

I had a suspicion that your mojo wouldn't be gone for long. It probably slipped down the back of the sofa with all the other 'temporarily unfound' things. 

Now you wouldn't want those sutures bursting open would you? So nice and tight but very hurty seems to be the answer. 

nanner
Posted by

This is my first post actually. I sure hope you feel better really soon. I’m sorry it’s so painful and causing you so much anguish. I was just diagnosed with the exact same thing. Scalp too. Not removed yet. Pretty scared. I’ll be thinking about you and praying for a swift recovery for you.