Skin cancer

A place for people affected by any type of skin cancer, including basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma, to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

Keratoacanthoma - SCC

Felicityann
Posted by

Hi I recently joined and wondered if anyone else on here had been told they could have a keratoacanthoma- SCC? This is what the dermatologist said at my first appointment. I'm still waiting for my biopsy results it's three weeks nearly now. I was supposed to get my stitches out last week but the wound was very tight and not quite healed. I should get them taken out tomorrow morning. They said I could ask about results then and if a doctor is available they could tell me. If not I have an appointment with the surgeon to get them in another weeks time.   

src60
Posted by

Hi sorry nobody picked this up before, not really my area of expertise as my wife's cancer is quite different and so this is a totally new term to me. Did a bit of looking and found this on the British Association of Dermatologists web, so if it is keratoacanthoma although in itself a real issue it is at least benign and if so you have had all the treatment you need. I would guess the doctors will be checking things out carefully to see if there is any sign of anything else and that usually involves culturing some cells and checking if any behave unusually and that does take time, the good news is fast growing cancer cells can be picked up really quickly.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Felicityann
Posted by

Hi thank you so much for looking it up and replyin.  I get my results on Thursday so i will let you know what they say. I hope your wife is doing ok?

All the best  Felicityann  

Laney33
Posted by

Hi there, 

How did you get on? 

I just received my 2nd skin biopsy last week.

My 1st one was removed from the bottom of my back in December 2014. Result was benign 

The second one appeared in the same position but just slightly to the right but was larger (2 inches) 

So another 4-6 weeks nervous wait 

Felicityann
Posted by

Hi. Had a good outcome thanks. My leg has healed well just a bit dented looking! 

The final results were a bit vague they didn't give it a name just said it was an acute skin infection and benign growth. I asked what would have happened to it if I hadn't had it removed and they said it would probably have turned cancerous. 

I've been concerned I might get another one but so far not thank goodness! 

I know how you feel about waiting for the result I was so anxious. It seems like forever till you get an answer doesn't it. I was cross with myself for worrying so much afterwards when I realised it was all ok! 

I did read that you can get a few keratoacanthomas, they're just a blooming nuisance if you ask me!! 

Hope your results are all ok like your last one was. I should think it will be. 

Keep happy take care. 

Reenie50
Posted by

Hi Felicityann

I saw a dr in Oct 2016 who thought the spot I had above my top lip was either a keratoacanthoma or SCC. I wasn't given an option of a biopsy and it was removed by a plastic surgeon on the 22nd Nov, just 4 weeks from first being seen. I was told the procedure is the same for both. It was a bigger op than I expected and had over 30 stitches but it has healed up very well and you can hardly see the scar. Turns out it was SCC so very glad they took it out!  I wasn't told the results until my 4 week check up at end of December 2016.

Sending you good wishes.

Felicityann
Posted by

Hi glad you had a good result and all ok. I just had mine removed with no biopsy too so seems like that's what they do. 

I feel for you that it was on your face I think you're really brave. 

Love xx

Reenie50
Posted by

Thank you!  I must admit it was a real shock as it all happened so quickly but perhaps that was a good thing as had no time to overthink things lol! If it had been somewhere else I might never have noticed until it was too far gone so keeping positive! 

Love to you too xx

Laney33
Posted by

Thank you, 4 weeks now and still no results. No news is good news as they say. 

My stitches came out and the wound opened up so currently got nurses in 3 times a week cleaning it so it doesn’t end up effected. 

It’s been a long month!

Glad your results were all ok

Reenie50
Posted by

Sorry your wound opened up but I'm sure the nurses will stop any infection occurring. I hope you get your results soon - as I mentioned, it was around 5/6 weeks that I got my results. 

Best wishes x