Bcc on nose

• 6 replies
  • 25 subscribers

I had removal and skin flap surgery two days ago and feeling traumatised. Feel like I hadn't taken in the seriousness of the op and the aftermath - the scarring, the need to keep out of the sun, etc. It was just a spot on my nose! Can't come to terms with it. Also feeling that so many people are worse off than me. Anyone else been through this?

• I had skin flap surgery at the side of my face by my nostril and can understand where you are coming from.  It is horrendous. I saw Consultant on Friday and it was 5 weeks since surgery.  He said it is hesling beautifully.  It still looks a mess very swollen and red but I can now start the massaging.  My cheek is very tight too.  I have to go back in March and have skin graft for one under my eye at top of nose.  How did you think the surgery was.  I was traumastised too, never thought it would be as bad as it was.  Keep in touch and we can help one another get through this. 

• Sorry for the delay in replying-struggled to get logged in again. Yes, it was traumatic. I think when you're told it's cancer you just want to get it out, then the aftermath sets in. Had a major wobble the other day when I caught sight of my nose from below and my nostrils look completely lopsided! I've seen a few comments on Google that it's quite common and you just have to live with it. Still got all the post op dressings on and quite worried about what it'll look like when they come off. I thought I wasn't at all vain but this has got me harder than I thought it would. Hope all is going well for you, I'm sorry that you have another bcc to be removed. 

• Thanks for replying.When do you get the dressings off as it will look pretty grotty but don't worry it will improve.  Mine is now nearly 7 weeks and now I have started massage with bio oil, it is very slowly getting a bit better.  the only thing is I now have to go through it again at the end of March and start all over again, this one will be skin graft. Keep in touch it does help to chat to people who are going through the same procedure and thoughts.  

• I hope you are feeling better Woodsider now that some time has passed since your surgery. I had forehead flap surgery after having the right nostril area removed with Mohs surgery for a BCC. I'm now 2 weeks on from having the separation surgery. It's such a big shock when you first have the flap surgery as everything is so swollen and bloody. The first 10 days were definitely the worst for me. Once the stitches came out after 2 weeks and the oozing stopped after about 3 weeks I felt more positive. Hopefully you have also discovered that the body heals up well.

I think when it is explained to you what will happen with the surgery it's much more about the physical process and you are not really prepared for the psychological impact of how 'dramatic' the surgery is compared to the size of the BCC and how much time and patience is required. 

I assume you'll soon be having or may have had your flap separation surgery. I hope it will go well. 

• Just rereading my chats and thankful for your kind concern. I'm afraid I'm having to go back for more surgery as some cells were left behind. Feeling grim about it all but trying to put it out of my mind while I'm waiting for the call. Hope your recovery is going well. 

• I'm sorry to hear you need more surgery Woodsider. That must be very upsetting for you after having already had surgery and hoping that would be the end of it. I hope you don't have to wait too long to have the next surgery and that it will be successful. I guess at least this time you'll know more about what to expect.