Pseudomyxoma peritonei

Pseudomyxoma Peritonei is a rare cancer of the appendix. If you're suffering from PP, or know someone who is, join this support group.

Recurence symptoms

violet
Posted by

Hello everyone, I underwent surgery and HIPEC a year ago. I’ve had two checkups since and nothing important emerged. I still get quite tired and have to watch my diet but generally I’m doing ok .. im writing here as I am having a bit of a panic about recurrence .. and I wondered how everyone else got on long term after surgery and treatment. Has anyone had a recurrence and what was the treatment? Thank you in advance for any input x

Cassie78
Posted by

Hi Violet

Although I am newly diagnosed and waiting for my treatment plan I have been getting support from the pmp survivor website. There are many people who have been through the surgery as you and they are great at answering questions and supporting each other. 

Hope this is helpful. 

Bestest of wishes to you

Cassie

pmpsurvivor
Posted by

Hi Violet

As far as I'm aware, less than 25% of patients have further surgery which means that 75% of us don't - that is brilliant news! The treatment for a recurrence can vary. Patients may be recommended watchful waiting, further surgery or chemotherapy or a combination of those. Watchful waiting may be recommended if the patient doesn't have any symptoms and it is possible that their quality of life after further surgery may not be as good as their current quality of life - for example, further surgery may result in a permanent stoma which would be seen as a deterioration in quality of life.

Don't panic, getting tired and watching your diet are perfectly normal for patients after surgery and there's still room for improvement even after a year out. Our bodies take time to adjust to the new normal

Angela xx