On countdown to surgery and HIPEC at Basingstoke on 21 October

• 16 replies
  • 16 subscribers

Hi

I know we are a small band of warriors that are dealing with this freakishly rare cancer. I just wanted to say hello.

I got diagnosed after I developed an umbilical hernia and so far the disease has been judged to be low grade. My PMP baby bump makes me look like I am six months pregnant but I consider myself very lucky not to be in pain.

Generally can still enjoy life (although now self isolating) but am worried about loss of independence after the op as I live alone .... it's quite difficult to go from an independent little so and so to letting everyone in to help me!

Anyway ... happy to chat

Sending love and light to you all 

Heather

• Thank you Kaz. With low grade tumour like i had its quite rare for it to come back so quickly. 

I did have lots of it, age my surgery was as big as it gets but recovered well and bloods were normal in March.

I'm remaining positive as i feel healthy and looking at all options currently 

Best, 

Steve x

• Hi Steve, 

Just been reading your story. It sounds exactly what my mam is going through. She had the major operation last July and was told it had come back 6 months later. She has had three round of different chemo now . Some parts have stabilised but some are continuing to grow. She is now trying the tablet form but are hoping to find a clinical trial too. It would be great if you could share what Basingstoke recommend for you.

Thank you 

• Hi Olivia,  i hope i have your name correct Wink And your mam is going well.  My meeting went well plus I've had a third opinion from Dr Garrett Nash at MSKCC hospital in NYC USA.

The conclusions are : The aggressive nature of my returning PMP makes is more sensitive to Chemo so I'm starting a 3 month course of Folfax intravenously and if the spread is halted or reversed i may be suitable for surgery again.

If left untreated i likely will die within 18 months. 

Also tumour is being tested on Manchester for genetic mutation and what immunotherapy treatment may successfully target this.  

I would recommend reading about Joe Tippens and his amazing Cancer journey / survival protocol and reading the book " Starving Cancer' by Jane McLelland. 

Best Wishes,

Steve

• Hi, 

thanks for getting back to me. She’s trying to stay positive like us all! Sounds like you have some good options there! 

My mam did try that chemo but unfortunately it didn’t work so she is now trying a different one. Fingers crossed it does for you.

Can I ask how you found out about the Dr in New York? Also was it Basingstoke that directed you to Manchester for the mutation testing or was it your oncologist? 

thank you for recommending the reading il definitely have a look.

Thanks 

• I was diagnosed with pmp appendix tumour having first surgery in January 2020. Had my second surgery in Basingstoke cytroreductive surgery hipec.

it been nearly 18 months to my surgery, still suffer abdominal pains and walking is not normal as use to be.suffer from rushed bowls need urgency to go.

Still get tied after doing house and shopping.

still not able return to work.

has been through longer this?

jaree.

• Hello , I'm sorry that you are still having issues. With regards to the bowel urgency, have you spoken with your doctor about it? I had major issues with urgency following surgery and my oncologist suggested that I have bile acid malabsorption and prescribed medication for it. That was over 9 years ago and I still find that my bowel is healing even now and reacts differently to different foods.

Angela 
    Pseudomyxoma peritonei survivor
    Trustee
    Pseudomyxoma Survivor