Prostate cancer

A support group for anyone affected by prostate cancer to come together, share experiences, and ask questions.

Trial treatment not working what now ??

Willbop76
Posted by

My father has had chemo twice over the past 2 years for advanced prostate cancer. It has spread to his spine and has fractured his vertebrae. 
he was offered a trial drug which he has been taking since October and has just got weaker and weaker finally today the oncologist told him this medication isn’t working for him and there is nothing else to offer. He does have hormone injections. They are sending Macmillan out to look at pain relief and have said they don’t need to see him again as he is not having treatment. 
I wasn’t at the meeting with him as my mother and uncle were but I’m just wondering how can he live if not being treated or is this the end where they just make him comfortable ? I respect the fact that maybe he doesn’t want to know and for him to remain positive but I would like to know. Is there a life expectancy without treatment ? 

Grundo
Posted by

Hi Willbop and welcome, sorry to hear of your dad's situation.

Do u know what the trial drug was, looks like it didn't agree with him anyway, perhaps he may feel better when the effects have worn off.

He is still on treatment, you say that is is on hormone therapy, hopefully that is keeping the psa down.

It could be worth looking at other clinical trials, look at cancerresearchuk.org for more info and search for trials.

Hopefully others will post with more comments/advice.

Best wishes

Steve

Willbop76
Posted by

Hi Steve 

sorry it’s taken so long to thank you for reply my dad has been in hospital with infections - the first one was a water infection and saw him in hospital for 2 weeks then home for 10 days and now back in although they are unsure as to where infection is.