Prostate cancer

A support group for anyone affected by prostate cancer to come together, share experiences, and ask questions.

normal urination

sailcol
Posted by

is it possible to have prostate cancer without experiencing any problems urinating.

Seamus47
Posted by

Yes. I had no problems or symptoms before I was diagnosed with Gleason 4+5 = 9, T3A N0 M0 locally advanced PC in October 2018. I had a few problems after completing four weeks of radiotherapy in March 2019, but everything is back to normal now.

Seamus
(See my profile for more)
sailcol
Posted by

how was your cancer discovered then

Grundo
Posted by

Definitely, I only found out because I had been asking for a psa whenever I had a blood test for other things.

sailcol
Posted by

I am 3 years post squamus cell to tonsil = surgery removal of neck tumor then RT & chemo.

I was told the cancer in neck mass was from somewhere else in body but too small to detect or killed off by my immune system.

been on the lookout ever since and started with all the symptoms of prostatis 15 months ago but always urinated no problem so let it go,

& SCC almost never ever spreads to prostate. Also did a few home PSA tests and all normal.

Anyways I finally went to urology, told him my symptoms and had the finger exam and said its my prostate, so having a cam down my willy to check the pipes

Every prostate problem I read about always involves problem urinating or blood in fluids which I never have. so I left it

I feel very fit but maybe its blindsided me.  

Seamus47
Posted by

My father died of PC at the age of 53, so my GP insisted I had a PSA test every two years from the age of 55. For 15 odd years my PSA was always about 2 - 3 until January 2018 when it had risen to 11. That triggered a very long period of tests and I started treatment in October 2018.

Seamus
(See my profile for more)
Prefect56
Posted by

I had a PSA test when I retired and as i had no symptoms at all didn't bother with another one. 8 years later I had a DVT in my leg and the doctor in A &E did a PSA test but never mentioned it to me. Then I received a letter from the hospital 7 months later saying it was elevated at 11 and asked me to get it done again and was still 11. Still no symptoms sleeping right through the night, no need to rush or any other problems. But turned out to be a T3a with a Gleason 4+4 and pushing on the capsule. So yes it is possible. 

freefaller
Posted by

The short answer is yes.  You don't need to have any symptoms whatsoever but can still have PCa.  Of course, you may have some symptoms that you put down to age or you have had "symptom creep" they have crept up so slowly that you don't really notice them.  This may be going to the loo slightly more often - the thing that would probably make you notice this is how long a car journey can you go on without needing to stop for the loo.  Do you find you have to get up in the night and thinking to yourself oh well, I did have a drink at 8 or 9 and so on but again you don't necessarily have to have any of these symptoms at all.