We understand that people with cancer are worried about coronavirus. Here is the latest guidance. We will update it regularly.

Prostate cancer

A support group for anyone affected by prostate cancer to come together, share experiences, and ask questions.

Prostate Cancer Treatment

hmcgireland
Posted by

Thanks Joe

I will definitely look at Pomo-t.  I forget to mention I am off dairy (exception occasional cheese needed!) and on 3 cups of green tea per day.  Good luck!

Hugh

Andy_123
Posted by

Hi 

Thanking you all so much for all your responses. I greatly appreciate all the time and effort that have gone into writing them and they have been very informative and insightful. 

Eddiemum if you don’t mind me asking where did your husband have his surgery done ? Thanks 

Eddiemum
Posted by

Castle Hill Hospital at Cottingham East Yorkshire they were absolutely brilliant 

hmcgireland
Posted by

Hi

One of my brothers, aged 55, responded quite well to the surgery but the older one, 63, not so good.  Best wishes to your man in his recovery.

Hugh

Chippy63
Posted by

I'm glad to hear all is going well ,hope you both have good news on your follow up. All the best

Uroboros
Posted by

#hmcgireland

Whilst it's possibly a good idea to avoid treatment for as long as it's possible to do so, it is a balancing act.  The longer treatment is delayed the more likely the tumour is to advance.  AS is of course aimed at monitoring if it's advancing and how fast.  It's very variable though, and a repeat PSA test is not entirely the best way of keeping an eye on things.  It requires repeat biopsies or scans. 

Furthermore, as the higher the Gleason score, the greater the risk of advancement, with a higher gleason, it's probably not a good idea to offer or choose AS.  So whereas a Gleason score of 6 is probably OK for AS, like yourself, a Gleason score of practically 8, which is what 4 + 3 is, is not such a good idea.

As for cutting out meat as a means of treating cancer.  I've been a vegetarian for 45 years, it didn't stop my cancer progressing.  That lycopene, the red found in tomatoes prevents prostate cancer has been shown to be a myth.  There's no evidence fir any of the other things you mention having any benefit.  If your PSA went down there may be other reasons for this.

I appreciate that you might be intending to be helpful to Andy, but your situation is different and I think, perhaps unintentionally you are misguiding him.

hmcgireland
Posted by

Hi Uroboros, you obviously are more knowledgeable on this than me.  However, I can only state what the facts of my situation are and that is that diet and exercise has reduced my PSA significantly, to the extent that my doctor has postponed my annual biopsy by 6 months. I am sure that Andy will take the correct advice and do what is best for himself.  I wish him well in that.   Regards.

Grundo
Posted by

Hi HMC

Like yourself I think that diet and exercise are very important in relation to PC. I was diagnosed in 2013 and go for a half hour jog every day plus some additional walking as well.

I eat minute amounts of red meat, keep my sugar and dairy intake as low as possible. I am sure that this has all helped  (obviously can't say for sure).

I would be interested to know if there is anything specific about your diet that you feel has helped you?

Thanks

Steve

hmcgireland
Posted by

Cheers Steve

Thanks for the information.  Sugar is definitely out.  I keep away from processed and so called low fat foods which are flavoured by large amounts of sugar and try as much as possible to cook from natural ingredients.   I also stay away from refined wheat which is another preservative in processed foods.   I take a milk thistle and a plant sterol supplement daily in addition to the turmeric tablet.  

I use alpro oat drink as a  milk substitute with oat based unsweetened cereals and porridge;  it is sugar, sweetener and lactose free and high in fibre.  I credit the plant steroIs and oat drink with also reducing my cholesterol from 5.3 to 4.2 with a very good HDL/LDL ratio, which may not be directly relevant to the PC, but can only strengthen the immune system.

Another habit acquired is 3 cups of green tea per day.  I may be simplistic in believing that a healthy, fit person with a good diet will be better placed to ward off illness, disease etc.  As you say, I can't prove that all this has caused my PS improvement but as my doctor says "keep on doing whatever you're doing"!

Good luck

HMC

Grundo
Posted by

Thanks for the  info HMC, I do struggle with the missing sugar, just out of interest have u  cut  it out completely  or do u have the odd biscuit and occasional piece of cake?

I am just having a butterscotch crunch while I am writing this 2.6 grm of sugar., In fact I might have another, keep up the good work

Ste

hmcgireland
Posted by

Luckily, Steve, I have never been a huge biscuit or dessert fan, but I do indulge now and again.  Nothing wrong with a few pints or glasses of wine either!

HMC

Billh3
Posted by

Thx Hugh.

I’m 67 yo, my Gleason is 6, psa 7, psa density.129. Diagnosed 1.16.20. Biopsy and MRI 

my Urologist, a surgeon, recommended surgery (of course), a second opinion said I was in a “Grey area”...all options, cyber knife, surgery or active surveillance “were good”.

So I read and read and found this article from very well health.com: by Dr Mark Schultz

”Gleason 6 and the misuse of the term “cancer” “...which concludes after 4 pages:

”men with Gleason 6 don’t have cancer in the true sense of the word. There is no risk of metastasis.”   It goes on to say ...”the advent of multi parametric MRI appears to be a much better alternative to random periodic biopsys.” For active surveillance 

This made me feel better about my diagnosis.

YoungMan
Posted by

I wish that were true, my biopsy showed Gleason 6, post prostratectomy uplifted to 7,  psma pet scan showed metastatic prostrate cancer in ribs,

All very much depends where in the prostrate and how close to capsule. I’m younger than you at 50 so brachytherapy discounted due to unknown longer term effects.  Find out how close to capsule risks/benefits of all treatments. 

You’ll only have surgery once, nano knife might not remove all affected areas

I must admit though if suitable for a definitive scan that would be preferable 

Grundo
Posted by

Bill

I was Gleeson 6, psa 5 when diagnosed, went on AS.

Original tumour size about 4mm, over 5 years increased to 2/3 tumours largest about 13mm .

When near to capsule edge I had the treatment.

Make sure that u keep an eye on it with yearly MRI , psa prob 3/6 months. yearly biopsy not so important.

Steve

Billh3
Posted by

Thank you YM...appreciate your. Input very much