Prostate cancer

A support group for anyone affected by prostate cancer to come together, share experiences, and ask questions.

Surgery

Uroboros
Posted by

Great that surgery has been agreed and is happening soon.  I hope it's successful.

I am surprised though that he hasn't had a bone scan, this is part of the staging process.

I wonder if you were given a reason for it not being done, you can't be sure h!e has no metastases for sure without this.

Eddiemum
Posted by

The consultant said that as the cancer is definitely contained to the prostrate a bone scan wasn’t necessary 

Ido4
Posted by

I was never offered a bone scan despite the prostate capsule bulging due to the tumours.

Seems strange now but I had no idea about that at the time.

Ido4

freefaller
Posted by

It seems to depend on either your area or your urologist on whether or not you are offered a bone scan.  I wasn't offered one - infact - even though MRI showed my tumour was bulging at the back of the prostate my urologist said no more scans were necessary.  I did not have a bone scan.  However, I did meet someone during my treatment who had a lower PSA and similar gleason score and the tumour was not protruding who was given a bone scan and PET scan.