Prostate cancer

A support group for anyone affected by prostate cancer to come together, share experiences, and ask questions.

My dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer yesterday, Gleason Score of 9 (4+5)

flightsim
Posted by

Hi KeeWi22

I've just been reading through all that has been written so far. I've been rather busy with treatments, and goodness knows what else.

Briefly I started with a PSA of 143, T4, N0, M0, Grade 5, locally advance prostrate cancer similar your father. I started hormone therapy last November, I've, have 37 sessions of radiotherapy, and following a chance meeting with my oncologist, I'm undertaking a course of Chemo therapy. To date, I've fared quite well, so hopefully your father should do too, however we all tread our own path when it comes to cancer

All of this sound rather daunting, to say the least, before you embark upon treatment. however once you're underway things settle down.

I spotted that you intend to help your father to be a s fit as possible, which is all to the good once treatment starts.

I suspect that the news of your fathers diagnosis came as quite a shock. From my own point of view, I feel that my family suffered more than I did mentally and emotionally than I did. Can explain why, but I just accepted ti as my lot, and had to do what ever I had to do. The hardest part is seeing your family suffer.

In the meantime, I wish you and your father all the best.

Believe you can do it, and you’re halfway there.
KeeWi22
Posted by

Hi Flightsim

thank you for your reply. I hope you continue making good progress with your recovery.

dad had his ct scan yesterday and his bone scan today. 

We go for the follow up/results appointment next thursday.

i’d seen on here that some people who had the bone scan then had xrays done due to “hotspots” showing up on the bone scan - presumably to seek further clarification.

dad was told he didn’t need any xrays as they’d done the ct scan yesterday and “they had all they need”.

i know that I’m just being negative and fearing the worst but I am worried that this means the ct scan and bone scan results were so bad that they don’t need to bother with xrays (obviously I haven’t expressed any of this to Dad) - I know no one can say what the scan results are, but has anyone had this situation before?

thanks

keeley

Kerrygirly
Posted by

Hi Keeley,

My dad just had a bone 1st which was clear never had an xray. He had ct scan about 2 weeks later. Results just in all good except they couldn't get a clear picture of bladder as there was urine in i I'm not too sure thou if my dad picked them up right that maybe all is good in the bladder but there is a build of of urine. He did have a bag on him about 3 weeks ago for a week to drain excess urine. But obviously it's starting to build up again. Somehow in this process there is always question Mark's .... fingers crossed for good results next week x 

Kind Regards

In Ireland

KeeWi22
Posted by

Hi Kerrygirl

so glad for you that the scans look clear so far, hope that all stays the same.

like you say, the questions/waiting are all part of the necessary process, but it doesn’t make it any easier

i wasn’t sure if we’d be told there and then if the bone scan was clear - was your dad given the result on the day he went for the bone scan?

x

Kerrygirly
Posted by

No he wasnt,  it was his gp rang him the following day, as his bladder had urine in it and it needed to be drained. I think that's how he got the results so quick because of this. I'm in Ireland so our system is probably a little different to yours. But I would imagine no results would be given out on the day. X

Kind Regards

In Ireland

KeeWi22
Posted by

Ah, ok - yes, I suppose I was being optimistic thinking we’d get anything the same day x

Ral47
Posted by

Do not worry. Bone scans show up old injuries. Mine showed a leg fracture that I had at sixteen. I am now nearly 72. They have to check them in order to 'Tailor' individual treatment. If he can remember old injuries it will help.

Uroboros
Posted by

MESSAGE TO FLIGHTSIM

Hi Flightsim. thanks for your "friend" request,  I'm flattered

I think!

I've read your very amusing profile, it;s great that you have such a sense of humour, not dissimilar to my own,   at  times, so can appreciate it.  I recall I started my cancer "journey" with a little humour, I told the nurse, Fiona, who did my TRUS biopsy  that my wife, (of the same name) had never done that service for me.  Sadly, since I no longer have a prostate gland, it wouldn't be fun anyway., plus I got divorced, (not just because of lack of prostatic stimulation).

It;s good to have a sense of humour especially when we're affected by cancer, no matter what stage we're at.

I also can get very philosophical which can be incredibly boring for anyone suffering me., whether they exist or not.

Please don't be insulted but I'm declining, it's probably of no benefit to you to have me as a friend, I'm a grumpy old sod in my physical manifestation (if not in cyberspace), who finds it difficult to understand what people are saying if they use words with any less than 5 syllables.  Very pedantic, get confused by ambiguity, overwhelmed when overstimulated and often feel like running away (from people).

Since I discovered that I suffer Asperger's 2 years ago I feel quite justified in being as grumpy and as antisocial as I feel I want to be.  Especially if anyone makes a LOUD noise, or accidentally touches me. Hate having supermarket trolleys acting like enemas.

If it's any consolation, I could send you my autobiography when (and if) I complete it.  I've got a bit stuck at the moment between conception and birth.  A lot happened!  I also don't seem to be able to mention anything physiological without getting into a creationism vs evolution debate and what is reality anyway.?

If God  or Darwin, will only let me die after I've completed it, I could live forever!

Don't be sad.

freefaller
Posted by

It could also mean that nothing was found ti warrant further investigation Keeley. 

KeeWi22
Posted by

Hi Freefaller

thanks - I really hope so 

Keeley 

freefaller
Posted by

Always look on the bright side!