Prostate cancer

A support group for anyone affected by prostate cancer to come together, share experiences, and ask questions.

Father diagnosed with prostate cancer

Mollie Blue
Posted by

My Father has had tests and has been diagnosed with prostate cancer. He is currently taking a tablet a day and having an injection once a week. He will in due course having an MRI scan. What are the tablets/injection for and would it hurry things along if we used private health care for the MRI scan? Thank you 

hellodolly
Posted by

My husband was diagnosed on 2ND January was put on tablets and hormone injection scans and biopsy were completed by 24th January and results were given on 8th February.Hope this helps for you to make  your decision though every hospital will probably differ.

Ido4
Posted by

Hello Mollie Blue, welcome to the community. Sorry to hear you’re father has been diagnosed with prostate cancer. Can you perhaps give us a bit more detail like age, general health, PSA value, biopsy result with Gleason score? This will help others answer your questions?

It sounds like your father has started hormone therapy which will knock the cancer back ny starving it of testosterone.

The tablets work by blocking the cancer using testosterone and the injections stop the testes producing testosterone. When I started hormone therapy I took Casodex (bicalutamide) tablets for three weeks and had a PROSTAP (leuprorelin acetate) injection 10 days after startiing the tablets. I now have a PROSTAP 3 injection every 12 weeks.

I haven’t heard of a weekly injection so it would be interesting to hear what that injection is.

The MRI scan will check where any tumours are and whether the cancer has escaped the prostate. It will also look at lymph nodes to see if they are ok.

If you click here you will see information on diagnosis and tests for PC.

Here you will find information on hormone therapy.

It’s a shock being diagnosed and there is so much new information and language to learn so I hope this helps.

Wishing you, your dad and the family all best wishes,

Ian

Ido4

freefaller
Posted by

What are the names of the tablets and injections?  I imagine they are some sort of hormone therapy so really your father's treatment has begun.  What tests has he had?  How long has he been waiting for the MRI? 10 days to two weeks can be the usual waiting time unless you were told it was urgent?  Has he had a biopsy?  If he has had the biopsy before the MRI he needs to wait until the biopsy site has healed before the MRI can be done as if not the MRI will show trauma where the biopsies were taken which may then not show the areas where the cancer is clearly.  A wait of at lest 3 weeks after the biopsy to MRI would be necessary - 3 to 6 weeks I was told but chivied up my MRI department and got the MRI bang on 3 weeks post biopsy.  Of course the best way for this to be done is MRI first and then biopsy but some hospitals do this the wrong way around. If your Dad has not had a biopsy then please call your MRI centre and check they have had the referral and ask if he can have the scan as soon as possible because obviously the whole family is going through a worrying time.  Also ask if he can be slotted in when an appointment has been cancelled telling them he can be at the hospital in however long it would take him to get there if they were to phone him and say they have had a cancellation.  I have managed to get two MRI's done that way after being called to say that I needed to get to the hospital within an hour - I was at the hospital within half an hour. 

All the best

Des

freefaller
Posted by

Just for your info a private MRI would cost around £1000

Mollie Blue
Posted by

Thank you Ian - Dad is 75 and in good health generally - his memory is not great so I’m relying on my Mum to relay information but I think she understandably is finding it difficult to absorb everything that the Doctors are telling them. They live away but I’m hoping to get to see them this week. I’m going to try and make an appointment with their Doctor to find out more information. Thank you once again. 

Mollie Blue
Posted by

Thank you for your reply, wishing your husband all the best.

Mollie Blue
Posted by

Hello - thank you for replying - details are vague at the moment - parents live away and Dads memory is not great and I think Mum is struggling to take everything in. He has had the biopsy and is now taking the medication and receiving injections. I will be visiting them shortly so will try and make an appointment with Doctor to find out more details. This site is very helpful though. Thank you once again. 

joeven
Posted by

Hello Mollie blue

First your in a good place where people will help and give as much information as they can, it's unfortunate for your dad he has this terrible desease but there are people who have your dads health a major priority.

If you can tell your mum to take a pen and paper and jot down as much as possible, or even have a number of questions ready to ask on their next visit and jot down the answers.

It's only the start of a long road so don't expect things to happen instantly, the tablets and injections are to bring his PSA down this will lead on to other treatments depending on how severe the cancer is, all will be told to your mum and dad that is why pen and paper are required.

Hopefully all will go well, it's always a shock to the family so take things as they come, prostate cancer is one of the slowest so time is on his side.

Joe

ValFF
Posted by

My husband was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2013. It is often a shock and very scary. We feel we have so many questions we want answered and reassurance given. 

i believe there are strict guidelines about timings of investigations and treatment and I think that your Dad will have a scan done in a time-frame that will not affect his overall prognosis. 

One of the hardest things on this journey is the waiting for investigations and appointments to hear the results. 

I hope that you get some positive news soon.

Mollie Blue
Posted by

Thank you - yes you are right - I’ve received a lot of feed back on this site from some very kind people. I will be buying my Mum a little note book so that she can make notes - thank you once again for your reply.

freefaller
Posted by

If he has already had the biopsy then he will have to wait until the biopsy site heals before the MRI.  The time frame for this is 3-6 weeks.  He has already started treatment if he is on tablets and injections this is Hormone Therapy (HT) which will bring down the PSA and testosterone which feeds the cancer.  Good idea to always have a notebook to take notes at consultations and also write down questions to ask - so easy to forget and get side tracked.  Another thing you can do with the agreement of the consultant is to tape the consultation on a mobile phone.

Hope all goes well for your Dad.

Des