Prostate cancer

A support group for anyone affected by prostate cancer to come together, share experiences, and ask questions.

Cancer returned

popsey4
Posted by

Hi,I'm a newbie...

Husband has just learnt that his cancer has returned...

Waiting for a scan,and we have an appointment with Consultant 20th March,to see where the cancer is lurking...

GP thinks it might have progressed into the Lymph Nodes,obviously no one does till the Scan is done...

Hubs had a Radical Prostate removal surgery op 2006.he has had PSA levels done every six months since...

I am very frightened,and worried,hubs is now 75 years old,looks fit,and he is my carer,as I have health problems also...

Grundo
Posted by

Hi Popsey

Sorry to hear of your potentially bad news. I wonder why the GP has said the Pc may have spread to the lymph nodes before a scan? Is it because recent psa's have been showing a steady increase?

Steve

popsey4
Posted by

Hi Steve,it was not the local doctor who passed this comment...it is my husband and I who "THINK" it might have migrated to the lymph nodes...speculation on our part,sorry to mislead you...

We have an appointment booked for the 20th March at the hospital to see consultant...

We have not had an appointment for a Scan yet...

Yes, his PSA level shot up by eleven points since his PSA test done just before Christmas 2017...

He had PSA level done last week as they are calling him in for it every three months now...

Thank you for asking...

It had been rising slowly before that

Grundo
Posted by

Ok Popsey

I presume that after RP the psa went down to near zero.

Has the upward trend been going on for some time or is it recent?

What is the current psa?

If it has re appeared, he can still have salvage Radiotherapy if it hasn't spread to the bones.

hope all goes well on the 20th

Steve

popsey4
Posted by

Steve,his PSA level was 0.3 after RS ...Surgen knew he had not got it all...

It has climbed up again steadily over the last 11 years...The last one just before Christmas,rose again...

This blood test done this month March shot up by 11 points... it is now 30...

Sorry I don't understand all these numbers,so can't write more than I understand...

Grundo
Posted by

Popsey

If its been climbing for the past 11 years seems strange that they are just considering doing something now.

Don't worry too much, there is still plenty of options available, be helpful if the bones are still unaffected though.

Steve

freefaller
Posted by

Hello Popsey,

So sorry to hear this.  I have a friend who is in a similar position and age to your hubby who also cares for his wife who has a chronic lung complaint .  RP around the same time too and now PSA rising.  My friend has had salvage radiotherapy and has been put on Hormone Therapy.  He was not looking forward to this as obviously there are side effects.  As far as I know he is not getting any other treatment at the moment - but I have not heard from him since the end of last month as he has been away.  There are plenty of treatments out there for your hubby.  Try and stop worrying about things now - I know it is hard.  Once you know what you are dealing with after all tests and scans and a treatment plan has been agreed on you can start to plan how to deal with things.

Take care.

popsey4
Posted by

Will keep updating as we travel this horrid road...thank you for your posts...

Jonstarjon
Posted by

Try to stay calm and not speculate. Nothing could be worse. Even at worst case try to keep in mind that we might suffer our end from causes not attributable to cancer at all. Good luck and hope for a good result for you.

popsey4
Posted by

Yes,thank you we will...

popsey4
Posted by

Hubs has seen the consultant this afternoon...in the next few weeks he will get an appointment sent through for a scan to be done...

Consultant did not say what part of the body will be scanned...

Now just a question of waiting again...

popsey4
Posted by

Hubs has received his appointments for Scans from the hospital....

Thorax to pelvic on the 17th April then again the next day 18th for...

Whole Medical Nuclear Body Scan ...

Ido4
Posted by

Hello popsey4, Is he receiving hormone therapy just now or are they waiting on scan results first?

best wishes, Ian.

Ido4

popsey4
Posted by

Hi Ido4... they are waiting on the scan reports on the 17th /and 18th of April...

MarlowRob
Posted by

Good morning.

I hope your husbands scans go ok on the 17th & 18th. Just a quick comment in that I have found that consultants/oncologists only  answer or give information when you ask specific questions regarding treatments etc

They do not volunteer information. You need to ask. When I see mine before every chemotherapy session, I take a list of questions that I have written down, (so I don`t forget ) and he does answer them, but does not bring up other subjects without my prompting.

So, for me, its a case of, write down any concerns when they come to mind and do not be afraid about asking direct questions, however much you might not want to hear the answers. I find I`d much rather know, than be left in the dark wondering and possibly fretting because I didn`t ask.

Wishing you both well

MarlowRob