We understand that people with cancer are worried about coronavirus. Here is the latest guidance. We will update it regularly.

Prostate cancer

A support group for anyone affected by prostate cancer to come together, share experiences, and ask questions.

LU-117

MelanieL
Posted by

Hi everyone.

We have recently heard and investigated a therapy currently being tested in Germany with LU-117. It is a type of radiation therapy. Since the Aberaterone has almost stopped working for my husband, we have to think about what to do next, and this therapy seems to be an option. We are wondering if anyone here has ever had it or looked into it?

Thanks.

I don't like "moving on" because it sounds like leaving our loved one and all that happened behind. But I like "moving forward" because it means that, in spite of my tremendous loss and the pain about that, I move forward in my own life taking Paul with me.
gregm
Posted by

Hi Mel and Paul,

I think you'll find people with experience of Lutetium (LU-177) in the neuroendocrine cancer groups, and I think  may have experience/looked into that treatment. Whilst the treatment is for a different cancer, they may be able to give first-hand experience of how they found the treatment.

Greg

Ronny.a
Posted by

Hi Melanie, I think you mean Lu-177 or Lu = Lutetium or sometimes called Lutathera.  It's much more commonly known as PRRT. (Peptide Receptor Radionuclide Therapy). It's not really on test, they've had it for years across Europe but perhaps not for Prostate.  It was available on the Cancer Drugs Fund for Neuroendocrine Tumours but it was removed from routine availability in Nov 2015.  NICE are currently re-evaluating it and there's a small chance it will become available later this year for Neuroendocrine Tumours. 

With Prostate, they mix the Lu-177 (a radionuclide) with something called PSMA which  prostate tumours are known to secrete.  This enables the drug to target the tumours and do their thing. This is actally the same method for Neuroendocrine Tumours except they oversecrete a different hormone.

Something also useful to know.  Neuroendocrine Tumours also have a diagnostic and surveillance scan called Ga68 PET which works in a similar way.  You mix the somatostatin analogue with some radionuclide and it binds to tumours. Then using a gamma camera you scan for pictures and the tumours light up because the gamma camera finds the radioactivity.

So they can do the same for Prostate cancer using Lu-177 and PSMA.  Much more sensitive than current methods of scanning.   I'm fairly certain they will be using this as part of the German trial as this will not only confirm location of tumours but will also check to ensure the patient is expressing sufficient receptors needed for the treatment to work. 

Good luck Melanie

sungura
Posted by

My husband is about to have a PSMA PET scan at the Marsden with a view to seeing if will be suitable for treatment in Germany. Has anyone else out there had experience with this? 

He has bone metastases - castrate resistant prostate cancer - PSA 750 and going up. Has already had enzalutamide, abiraterone, radium 223, strontium, docetaxel etc. 

MelanieL
Posted by

That is really interesting. My husband and I have been very interested in this therapy for months now, the one with LU177 in Germany. However, the fact that a recent CT showed that the cancer had spread to the liver made it necessary to react fast and he is now on Docetaxol. But we still keep LU177 very strongly in mind for after the Chemo. Unfortunately, the PSMA scan is not available here in Ireland, so we would either have to get it done in Germany or else go to England.

Good luck with it all! And please keep us posted!!!

Mel and Paul.

I don't like "moving on" because it sounds like leaving our loved one and all that happened behind. But I like "moving forward" because it means that, in spite of my tremendous loss and the pain about that, I move forward in my own life taking Paul with me.
sungura
Posted by

Hi Mel, So sorry to hear about your husband and that it has spread to the liver. How is he getting on with the Docetaxel? I believe the treatment in Germany will work for both bone metastases and for cancer that has spread to other organs. 

I will let you know how it goes. We live in Kenya, but will come to the Marsden for the scan and then take it from there. 

sungura
Posted by

We have now had the results of the PSMA PET scan and it seems my husband is suitable for the treatment in Germany so has been referred there which is very exciting. Has anyone else in the community had this therapy? We do not know how long we will have to wait for an appointment and what is involved so it would be useful to get more info. 

Ketoman
Posted by

May I ask where you got the PSMA SCAN?

Kat1968
Posted by

Hi Mel, I just found your post because I was googling lutetium experiences because my husband, like yours, and also called Paul, also has mets to the liver and is currently doing chemo and our minds are always thinking "what next when the chemo fails?"

Just wondering how your husband is doing and hoping he's doing well.  This is a horrible heartbreaking journey, isn't it, the journey of prostate cancer?

We live in  Australia and they are doing lutetium trials at Peter MacCallum CAncer Centre.

Sending you lots of good wishes.

Katy

MelanieL
Posted by

Hi Katy.
Thank you for your message and sorry for the delay in replying to you, my parents were over with us for a week from Germany so we were very busy and I was not in front of the computer at all.

My husband Paul is doing well. He is on his second Carbo Platin infusion; his third one is next Wednesday. Well, actually, he went through six rounds of this Chemotherapy last year but they decided to repeat it again because his body is tolerating it well and the tumors are shrinking. We were hopeful after his last infusion when the doctor told us that the response was now even better than last year meaning the tumors were shrinking faster and his liver markers were good. Paul is very tired a lot of the time but has no other side-effects from the Chemo.

Yes, our minds are always on the next thing as well, always hoping that there will be other options after this Chemo. LU is too expensive for us, though, and according to recent research it doesn't work too well on liver mets.

How is your husband doing? And how are you doing yourself?

Best wishes

Mel.

Kat1968
Posted by

Hi Melanie

Thank you for responding. We are in Australia and my husband is on his fifth cycle of docetaxel chemo.  So far his psa has dropped wit each round so fingers crossed this trend continues. We’ve done reading which suggests carboplatin is often used for liver mets so I’m not really sure why they chose docetaxel, one has to hope they know what they’re doing!!!! I suppose carboplatin can be used later if he becomes resistant to docetaxel. I’m glad your Paul is going well. Mine is ok apart from fatigue but he doesn’t work any more which is good so he gets lots of rest. We have 3 adult sons living at home. My husband is also having ADT (not really sure why as he’s castrate resistant now). But it, and the chemo, makes him pretty edgy st times and sometimes I think it would be easier on the kids if they weren’ living at home but it’s nice to have them around. It’s pretty stressful but we try to do as many fun things as we can. Paul plays tennis nearly every day and does lots of walking. 

Take care and thanks for your reply and here’s to continued tumour shrinkage!

Katy