Prostate cancer

A support group for anyone affected by prostate cancer to come together, share experiences, and ask questions.

Shocked victim of prostate cancer

P@ckm@n
Posted by

Update:

Catheter removed this morning after 1-week,Phew....  Drank lots of water at clinic and urinated twice and discharged. Wore a pad as precautions for UI. Pretty good, except slight leak urge urgency to urinate. Dr said, bladder had shrunk and will take awhile to regain normal size again .Feeling  more confident now. Will return next week to clinic to check on keyholes stitches. Next challenge in a month's time on ED (if any)

Cheers

Chong 

Ido4
Posted by

That’s good news Chong.

Ian

Ozzy Mc
Posted by

Good news!! 

johnny567
Posted by

Hi 

Apologies to crash your posts

I've been offered a choice between prosectomy or Brachytherapy 

Did your husband have that choice and if so how was his decision made ?

Thxs 

Johnny

JayPee
Posted by

Hello johnny567

Welcome to the online community.

You might get more replies and ones that are more relevant to your own situation if you start your own discussion. It’s easy to do, just scroll up towards the top of this page and click on where it says Start a discussion. It’s just under where it says Prostate cancer.

If you’re not sure how things work please click here to go to the Help page.

All the best

Jim

P@ckm@n
Posted by

Update : Catheter removed as planned. Felt Dr pumped in some fluids before removing with no pain. Phew... Some leaks, luckily brought an adult diaper along. Dr advised to drink plenty of water & pee twice before allowed to leave. The urge to pee was somewhat different & the urgency was different. The good thing was feeling in my twenties as the flow was so fast like a fire hydrant!! Did that within an hour, Dr inspected & requested to return next week to check on the 6 keyholes stitches.

3rd day after catheter removal, still a little leak when bladder is full circumvented with a little pad. Manageable & hoping UI to improve day by day.

Cheers. 

Ido4
Posted by

It’s amazing how the flow rate can im so much after surgery!

Hope you continue to recover well,

Ian.

P@ckm@n
Posted by

Hi all,

Update: Did post-op PSA test 2-months on 15th May. Was glad it shows < 0.1. Consulted Dr today and was advised to take PSA tests every 3-months for next 3-years, followed by every 6-months for 4-5 year. 6th year onwards, annual PSA tests.

Anything to add on the above PSA tests schedules?

Dr advised, if go above 1, to consult him.

Cheers,

Chong

Ido4
Posted by

Long may that continue Chong. Stay healthy, eat a good diet, exercise as these will help.

The rest is a waiting game. What was your post op histology report?

Best wishes, Ian 

P@ckm@n
Posted by

Ian

Thanks for always being responsive, helpful and educating on PC matters. Much appreciated.

Post-op, pathologist report reconfirmed Gleason 3+5, PC cancer-cells were following nerves toward outside of prostrate, but within inside.

Urologist yesterday reconfirmed, all's good for AS of PSA periodic readings which since diarised till year 10.

While no issue with UI, ED remains unresolved after 3-months and urologist said will take 6months to 2-years to recover. He prescribed pills to assist which at this moment isn't really helping, hardness scale of 1-5, is a 1. He suggested a self-apply injection which sounded scary/expansive per shot which I had refused to try. Shall continue with the prescribed pills and work myself as the saying goes 'use it or lose it'.

I am pretty active in badminton, at least 3 sessions weekly and participating in friendly games locally as well as abroad.

Going forward, I may not monitor this community thread as often/closely as I wish, but will update as I progress.

Wishing everyone here always happy and healthy.

Kind regards

Chong

Ido4
Posted by

All the best Chong. One final comment: monitoring your PSA every three months is the right thing to do for the first few years. But I would contact your doctor if the PSA rises from undetectable to any level as that indicates recurrence. I hope that never happens to you but the quicker you act if it does happen the better your chances of dealing with it. 

Ian

P@ckm@n
Posted by

Ian, 

Absolutely, Dr did mentioned if go above 1, to consult him. 

Thanks again for your kind thoughts. Much appreciated.

Chong