Prostate cancer

A group for anyone affected by prostate cancer to get together, ask questions, share experiences and support each other.

STAMPEDE - Metformin

SallyJ
Posted by

We had our first appointment with the oncology consultant today and discussed the treatment plan.

It was as we expected:  3 years LHRH started 17th January ; 7 1/2 weeks radiotherapy IMRT to start last week of April.

My husband was also asked if he would like to join the STAMPEDE trial for the drug Metformin.

Is anyone here in that trial?  

We'd be glad of your experiences if you are !

joeven
Posted by

Hi

I was diagnosed in July last year had PSA 893 and Gleason score 9, because of my condition I had a choice of a few trials and choose Stampede, I had 6 sessions of docetaxel every three weeks and hormone injections of Prostap3 every three months, next I due to have twenty radiotherapy in March on the prostate.

With me I had a lot of the side effects.

The first two days I thought this is ok I can deal with this, then wallop, tiredness, weak, bone pain, joint ache, hot flushes,  ( through the hormone injection which cause sleepless nights ) plus they call it tingly fingers and feet, also some chest pain but that last one might be me with an underlying problem.

If you go on the trial monster your Tempreture daily very important as any colds viruses etc can be very nasty, after my third chemo I had neptrippena hospitalised for a few days, had a slight chest infection.

I've finished the chemo now, but the hormone injection is on going. While I was on the chemo I called the emergency hotline a few times and visited the docs at least once after every session. 

This may not happen with you everyone is different, you will get side effects just listen to what your told, take in all the advice. The good thing about the trial if there's anything new out there you may be the first to get it and they monitor you every three months all the time even after you finish the chemo etc.

Hope this helps, best of luck with what you decide.

Joe

Mally333
Posted by

Hi SallyJ

It sounds like your husband is at the stage very similar to myself, I'm surprised he wasn't offered early chemo as part of hes standard treatment. 

I'm taking part in the Metformin trials, I was selected to the arm K, I get to take the drug. I started this trial 1st December, taking 1 tablet pre day for the 1st month then progressed to the recommended 2 tablets per day after 1 month

Metformin is proposed to mitigate many of the adverse side effects of long-term ADT as well as having multiple potential anti-cancer effects and therefore STAMPEDE will evaluate re-purposing this treatment as a novel therapeutic approach in the management of high risk or metastatic prostate cancer.

Best Regards

Mally

SallyJ
Posted by

Hi Joeven, thanks for your reply.

Are you part of the Metformin trial ? 

SallyJ
Posted by

Hi Mall,   Thanks for your reply.

The oncologist said that she would not use systemic chemo as the bone scan showed no metatastic evidence, and that the LHRH should knock out any micromatastases. The radiotherapy (IMRT) will be broad enough to cover all of the iliac lymph nodes. 

Have you had any additional side effects from the Metformin ?

Mally333
Posted by

Hi SallyJ

With the Metformin Iv'e experienced none at all, the only side effects I have experienced  are related to chemo and steroids tablets' and to be honest Iv'e been lucky,they are not really that bad.

Over the last couple of weeks I have been getting a bit tired, after I do certain things that involve a fair bit of physical effort, but I put that down to the chemo.

Best regards

Mally

joeven
Posted by

Hi

No I am do not take metformin, looked it up it's mainly used for diabeties but it is used as medicine for other 

Ailments. I suppose different medicines for different stages of the desease.

SallyJ
Posted by

Good to know you have no further symptoms from the Metformin, Mally! 

Thanks for your reply, Joeven. Metformin was originally designed for diabetis but is being trialed for a number of cancers. So far the results seem good.

Chubby42
Posted by

Just started in the stampede trial, after having prostate removed in March 16 & failed radiotherapy in March 17.

Having HT Chemo & also metformin only problem so far is the extreme tiredness and generally un well, been so tired i forgot the metformin should be taken with food & a glass of water/liquid which makes it a very uncomfortable night on the toilet.

One Chemo down 5 to go.

Take care all who participate and hope it works well for you.

Gary

JayPee
Posted by

Hi again Gary

We haven't "chatted" for a long time. I haven't had metformin but I have had the chemo you've just started. I'd advise you not to hold back on telling your doctors about any and all side effects you have because they can probably give you something to help with those.

Try to keep as active as you can, too, without overdoing it. I know the chemo can be knackering but even a short walk can help, not least with how chemo can make you feel psychologically as well as physically. We're all affected differently and hopefully you'll be one of the people who doesn't get many side effects! 

I wish you all the best with it.

Jim

joeven
Posted by

Chubby42

Just started in the stampede trial, after having prostate removed in March 16 & failed radiotherapy in March 17.

Having HT Chemo & also metformin only problem so far is the extreme tiredness and generally un well, been so tired i forgot the metformin should be taken with food & a glass of water/liquid which makes it a very uncomfortable night on the toilet.

One Chemo down 5 to go.

Take care all who participate and hope it works well for you.

Gary

Hi i am on the stampede trial which i finished at the end of march, happened to me after my third session hit 38.3 found out i had neautrippenna hospitalised for three days in insolation, as you have only just started one thing you ne to be aware of, if it hits the 38 or lower than 36 get down to hospital as when your on chemo, is your tempreture

sorry to be a scare munger just be aware.joe, your red blood cells are very low and your open to infection,