Worried about my husband

My husband went to the GP at the end of November., with low abdominal pain, which he’d had about a year *sigh* . The GP told him quite bluntly that she would be looking for cancer. 

Bloods showed a slightly raised PSA of 4.8. There followed a cystoscope on 17 December and abdominal ultrasound and kidney x ray on 30 December. He has another abdominal ultrasound next week. The letter for that appointment was received the day after the first ultrasound. There’s no explanation as to why it is being repeated. He’s been asked to get his PSA checked again in another two weeks.

After the cystoscope he was put on alpha blockers, which seem to be doing what they should.

He’s called the surgery, but they just say no results are back yet. In the meantime, his pain is getting worse and I feel a bit helpless. 

Does this sound like a usual diagnostic process? Is there anything else he/we should be doing?

Thanks

• Hi AN

A year is a long time to leave an abdominal pain, not sure how he did that.

Anyway hopefully it's not cancer, PSa is still on the low side so as they are suggesting, another test in a couple of weeks is probably the best approach. Has he had antibiotics in case of infection? 

Keep pushing for his results, hope things work out ok.

Post back anytime particularly when results r in.

Best wishes

Steve

• Thanks.

The last couple of years have been tough. We lost his mother in horrific circumstances, he has had spinal surgery and I have been v unwell. He put it down to stress until he got to the point where he feels as if he has been kicked by a horse (his words)

He’s had antibiotics coincidentally for an infected finger, but nothing specifically for these symptoms. We did wonder about that.

• My diagnosis - several years ago now - took from early November to 30th December. It is frustrating, but you can understand why they don't want to make a final diagnosis until they're absolutely sure. One reason things take so long is that some of the tests occasionally throw up a mystery that requires one more test to solve; they don't request them all on Day 1, as some may not be needed. Then there's the wait for an appointment, then the wait for the results to be confirmed by the consultant.
    Try to be grateful for an honest GP, they're worth having. And let's face it, your husband thought so too, else he'd have gone for help months ago, as he should have.

You don't mention biopsy; has that come up?

Covid has added yet one more layer of delay. Hang in there, it won't be long now.

- - -

Heinous

A healthy-looking decrepit, 69-year-old male, mentally alert but forgetful. I no longer have an urge to choke people who say "all you need to beat cancer is the right attitude" - better to smile and move on.

• Sometimes lower abdominal pain/discomfort can be due to a hernia, just a thought.

• Hi Anstanomad

Sorry to read about what’s going for on, have you tried putting this on the main site as other people may have a better idea, his PSA is reasonable but the symptoms could be something else, just worth a try.

Stay safe.

Joe