Hello, I'm new

• 21 replies
  • 156 subscribers

Hi.

I have been diagnosed with intermediate prostate cancer and I've been told that active surveillance is not a safe option for me. After lots of research and discussion I have decided to opt for the robotic assisted prostatectomy and I'm hoping to have this surgery in November.

I would really appreciate information from anyone who has had this operation and how the surgery went, recovery and all the other things like side effects.

Many Thanks

• Hi HappyHacker.

Thanks for replying and sharing your experience. I hope things improve when you get the catheter out next week. Patience is not my greatest virtue either. I'm getting a fair bit of info now and it is easing my anxiety, thanks to everyone.

• HI,

I'm new here too. My first robotic surgery was cancelled at the last minute (2:30 pm having waited since 7:00 am) but was rescheduled for the following week, now 11 days ago. I was first on the list and was able to get out of bed the same evening. I was discharged the next day after lunch. Catheter came out after a week. Pain was well managed. I am still a little sore around the large incision (the one they take the prostate out through), but no longer taking anything for it. Made a trip to the supermarket yesterday with my wife.

I am completely dry at night (from the day the catheter was removed) but getting through a lot of pads during the day. Make sure you have a good supply (I'm using cheap own-brand at night and Tena level 3 during the day) and plenty of clean pants to hand when you get home.

Good Luck!

Andrew

• Hi Andrew

Thanks for your response and info. You were probably pretty annoyed at the cancellation, I would have been. It's good to hear that you are dry at night and have been from the catheter removal. Here's hoping that the remaining incontinence goes away soon.

• Hi.

I had that surgery 6 days ago. Having my catheter out tomorrow.

In one day, surgery that pm, out next pm. 

All went well. Already dropped my pain meds down a bit.

Catheter is funny to get used to, but you will get a routine and get used to it. 

Get yourself up and about as soon as you can, just don't lift anything. 

Have a good diet, to help your constipation, but mine was fine, the meds and prunes do the trick.

Didn't have much time to practice Pelvic Floor Exercises, as my surgery was brought forward 5 weeks due to a cancellation, 2 days notice to op.. (Good luck for me, but somebody else's bad luck, hope that they are ok). So I'm interested to see how good it bad the incontinence is. But, you have to remember, that is a small price to pay!

• Hi Adam

Thank you for your response and for the tips. Good luck with the catheter removal tomorrow and hopefully you'll be like megalodon and have no issues with incontinence.

• I had surgery 7 months ago Best to keep up pelvic  excercise,  as well as prunes. After my catheter was removed I needed 3  pads a day now down to one and no need for a pad at night. You need to keep up 2 litres of water each day, you don't need water infections. Take and be patient. 
  • Hi Theodore

Thanks for responding again and for your comments. Good luck for December.

• Hi Toatie.

I have added detail to my profile but just to update you my catheter came out two days ago and I seem to have remained remarkably dry so far. I walked about 1.5 miles yesterday and, whilst I had to stop twice to pee, there was no leakage apparent.

I’ll see how things develop as I become more active, but to date things look really encouraging.

HH

• Hi HappyHacker

That's great news and I hope it continues to get even better.

• Hi Toatie.

Just an update. My catheter was removed 4 days ago. First of all, there was no pain when it was removed. Much easier than I had dreamt. 

Since then, I've been very dry. Just a couple's of tiny dribbles during the day. Using pads during days and "pull up pants" at night. Nights have always been dry.

The future is bright.