Prostate Cancer

• 13 replies
  • 156 subscribers

Hi all,

I was diagnosed with Prostate cancer in early January 2021.PSA 5.7 and Gleeson 7 (3+4) only affecting one side of the gland but starting to break out.

The word cancer is not the most pleasing of terms, but to be honest, when I first heard it I was more concerned about how do I

get rid of it and what treatments were available. I hummed and are'd about Radiation or Operation, eventually going for the operation, which I am having on the 14th of April.

I would love to hear from anybody further down the road/journey than me, particularly concerning incontinence and impotence 

• Hi

Whitevanman, do not give up, see if someone from Macmillan can help. When I was first diagnosed, there was a one month gap when nothing seemed to be happening, I tried ringing the hospital which was a waste of time. I rang my surgery, they said it was out of their hands so I though that was not much use. But shortly after that phone call I had a call from the hospital, after that I got a few telephone numbers and things just started to drop into place. It might not be easy to stay positive and I know my journey is just starting but use this website to get things sorted.

Jan

• Hi Jan. It's really important to listen to what the oncology staff at the hospital tell you. If they say no coffee then no coffee it is. I chose the HT/RT treatment path and was told no caffeine or alcohol whilst on HT. I stopped both straight away and have had only three Xmas Day drinks in three years. I really don't miss alcohol at all. Now, coffee was a different story. Prior to treatment I lived on coffee, but switched to Redbush Earl Grey tea immediately supplemented by Turmeric infusion occasionally (both are caffeine free).

About 6 months ago I started drinking coffee again, but limit it to two cups at breakfast which gives the body time to get rid of the caffeine before trying to sleep.

It works for me.

Good luck with your treatment.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift.
    Seamus
    (See my profile for more)
  • Hi Seamus

Thank you for the information, I am not sure what Occology are going to say, at the moment my information has been restricted to the booklets provided by the NHS, Prostate Cancer UK and the information gained on this site. Not much on post operation.

Regards

Jan