Prostate Cancer Awareness Month - John's story

• 3 replies
  • 121 subscribers

Hi everyone, 

I hope you don't mind me posting here today, my name is Rachel and I work as part of the Community team here at Macmillan. I just wanted to share a link today to our most recent 'Community News blog' in which, to mark the last day of 'Prostate Cancer Awareness Month', Community member John shares his story of being diagnosed with prostate cancer at the age of 50. 

In his blog John talks about his diagnosis, treatment and how he found mindfulness as a way of dedicating time to looking after himself. 

You can read John's blog by clicking here.

If you have any questions about the blog, or if you need any support at all, do remember you can email the Community team anytime at community@macmillan.org.uk

Kindest regards, 

Rachel
Macmillan's Community team 

• I have read John’s blog, he has clearly described how the cancer has affected him, his work, his relationships and how he has tried to learn to cope. Much of what he describes will be familiar to  all who have or have had cancer and our partners who in many ways suffer more than we do. Keep going John.

Ido4

• I suppose that this is a reminder to all men that PC is not just an issue for the older guy, I have seen a couple of posts on here over the years for men in their 40's being diagnosed with PC.

I started asking my GP for a PSA in my fifties but now it should probably be normal to request one at 40.

Obviously most will be negative but as we all know the earlier u catch this when still contained  within the gland then the more likely it is to be cured.

• . Thank you both. Whatever we can do to save other men. I should have checked in my 40’s, 50 was unfortunately too late. Although if I hadn’t checked when I did could be a lot worse