I’m new here, new to a part of the world I didn’t really want to visit

• 3 replies
  • 5 subscribers

I googled the symptoms, and as with anytime you google symptoms, it always ends with cancer or death so I tried to be realistic and not jump to worse case scenario. I came across many conditions or causes, but the one that stood out and seemed to pop up regular with my symptoms was Penile Cancer. I kept reading that it’s extremely rare for anyone in their 30s, 40s and rare for men in their 50s and 60s... I’m 33 so whilst the chances of it being that was extremely low, I didn’t want to ignore it because I had convinced myself it was bad news. So, I had my first appointment with the GP October 1st and told them I was concerned my symptoms could be cancer. After a GP appointment every week for 5 weeks they were able to rule out many other conditions and I seen a urologist early December and expressed my concerns to him. The urologist said chances of it being cancer are extremely low so it’s probably something else and to try not to worry myself and they will take steps to rule it out. I was convinced it was bad news then January 19th I had my first Op (partial circumcision) and they took some biopsies. He said I’d have a 3-4 week wait for results due to Covid impact on NHS. When I googled penile cancer, it said only 2 or 3 people in their 30s in the whole of the UK will get diagnosed with penile cancer each year and my immediate thought was, someone has to be those unlucky people, why wouldn’t it be me, why should it be someone else. Last Friday, February 26th I went back to see my consultant to discuss the results, I walked through the door, he was straight to the point, my arse had barely touched the chair when he said “results are back, it’s not good, it’s cancer but we’re going to sort it”. He confirmed exactly what I thought it was when I phoned the doctors back in October. Everything else he said for the next 10-20 mins didn’t really register but he seemed very positive that it had been caught early and it could be treated... and now I find myself here, writing down my experience whilst I’m in isolation waiting for my surgery planned for March 16th. 

• It very strange feeling. I've just joined and shared my 5 week experience with this please dont let it dwell on the mind although easery said than done. 

I used my hobby which is wildlife photography and potential business and you can't imagine they joy and help it given me just today I posted a image on fb and you gets some like and comments  which Heart eyes is amazing for the mental health.

Hope it all goes well for you and you don't need to much done  many thanks jp

• Welcome to the group!  I was only 40 when I was diagnosed, and it's been a crazy few months!  Where are you being treated?  I've written about my journey at https://knob.blog if you're interested in all the kinds of things that might happen..

Jon

https://knob.blog

• Thank you Jon in 5 weeks I've gone from finding a small lump  that change in that time. So was meant be day care circumcision but ended in parcial penectomy. Stayed in for 1 night out on Tuesday  with cathater to be removed  after 5 days or after scan. If allowed and no sooner I was home had ct csan booked for Sat. 

So today is scan day Pray

Many thanks j