Pancreatic cancer

Affected by pancreatic cancer? Join this group to share experiences and ask questions to people who understand what you're going through.

Late night ramblings

tvman
Posted by

Hi Pepys

I've just found your post, like everyone else I've been having a battle with the site. So does Tom exist? Or not? Or was it supposed to be something else? Please let me know and dont keep me in suspenders lol

Tvman xx

Squeaky
Posted by

Nice of you to pop in tvman and your outfit sounds fab.

i have found the heat very trying as have the cats. Perhaps we shouldn’t complain but here in Scotland we are just not used to it. I’m getting my hair cut today and the place I go to is essentially a conservatory showroom and can be very hot.

I sat down to eat my dinner last night and outside was a young deer eating my bedding plants. I managed to chase it away by knocking on the window.

Pepys, I hope your day of appointments goes well.

Squeaky

Lady Pepys
Posted by

Haha tv man, no there’s no Tom, Dick or Harry!

pepys xx

Lady Pepys
Posted by

Thanks for your good wishes Squeaky!

I’m not looking forward to my day but getting driven around by my ex/husband will be a help. I was very nervous about the head scan this afternoon but it’s just to check out reason for a couple of headaches I had. And it’s a ct and not MRI. Not that I have any terrible memories of those.

A deer eating your bedding plants. Well, what can I say? At least it wasn’t eating your dinner!

pepys xx

Lady Pepys
Posted by

Hello Nikki,

i was so thrilled to hear from my daughter in law that all the boys were safe. Like you, I can imagine nothing worse as an experience. I am horribly claustrophobic. 

What a long day I’ve had, starting with chemo. By the time I got myself (driven by ex-husband) to radiology for the head scan,  I was at the end of my tether but it was actually very easy. No undressing, cold feet, over-consumption of water (but remind me to tell you a funny story later when less tired)....the only indignity involved was taking my hat off. So, no big deal really.

How’s Huw getting on?

kate, I believe I can recommend online dating. I I have often had great fun with it and even if I’ve never actually got a partner out of it, I have gained no fewer than three absolutely lovely friends, who really make me laugh!  I was with one of them when first diagnosed with breast cancer and he was the one who who kicked my arse to get to a doctor..his drinking was the main sticking point for me but I am also super-fond of him.  Go and have fun! 

Tomorrow we find out (from scan) if we have a boy or girl (or the inevitable ‘gender fluid’) child. Hugely exciting. 

Right, time for a ‘nanny nap’. 

Pepys xx

KiwiWolf
Posted by

Hi Pepys. Looking forward to your funny story but your rest is more important so it can wait till you’re ready. I actually shed a tear of joy when I heard the last person was out of the Thai cave. Don’t know why I’ve invested so much in this episode - just a wonderful good news story, I suppose and we all need as many of those as we can get these days.

How exciting about the baby scan! Let us know what flavour they get.

Huw is fine, chirping away and taking cues from his new companion. I’ve never had a budgie so keen on toys as young Gryff - he’s been playing football on the top of the cage with two plastic balls. Perhaps he’s been inspired by Gareth Southgate’s boys - certainly not Australia as they were knocked out early. I do love my wee birds - they are terrific companions and I never feel alone in the house, epscially as my husband travels a lot with work (I’m very happy with my own company too).

Squeaky, I love the idea of seeing a deer through the window as you eat your dinner. If it was eating my plants, I’d not be as keen! My garden really helped with my recovery and is flourishing although the heat has faded it a bit. We seem to have a mysterious disease affecting some of the local trees and my neighbour (a passionate gardener and a Kiwi to boot - what are the chances?) alerted me to some die off on the branches of my kowhai tree yesterday. We grew it together from seed she gathered from her family farm back in NZ over ten years ago and it’s very precious. I’ve given it emergency surgery and so far, so good. I’d hate to lose it. It’s bearing a good crop of seeds so I’ll plant them over winter. They are notoriously hard to germinate but hopefully there’s enough to get a few seedlings. Between us we’ve managed to grow five decent sized trees (one in my garden, two in hers and two on the terrace of the hospital where she works and I had my chemo) so I have hope. Sadly she’s lost her beautiful rowan tree to whatever is going round. We both love our gardens - they keep,us sane!

Splodge321
Posted by

Well good evening everyone 

i was delighted to come on tonight and find that the site seems to be working. It’s been so hit and miss lately it puts me off checking in. I’m such a technophobe I find it so frustrating when it doesn’t work. I miss our chats. Isn’t it strange that a group of people that will never meet have a connection and can chat about such deep feelings. I enjoy our rambling best though. 

Like Kiwiwolf I also look forward to your tale Pepys. I hope today hasn’t taken too much out of you. Glad the x is still being helpful. 

So internet dating, this is all new to me. I’ve always met people the old fashioned way either in bars or introduced by friends but what the hell times have changed and ive got nothing to loose. I’m sure it will be fun. Looking back at my past mistakes it will probably be useful to get a match on paper first as I obviously have lousy taste in men. I’ve always been a sucker for charmers with a nice smile. I have no desire to ever marry or even live with anyone again but I’m certainly ready to get out there and have fun again. I shall keep you posted.

For the first time in my life I don’t have a garden as my bar is town centre. But I’ve been helping my dad keep on top of his garden recently and then having a bit of a sunbathe. I’m intrigued about the kowhai tree I’ve never heard of it and I’m now going to google it. 

Sleep well lovely people xx

Kate 

Lady Pepys
Posted by

Good evening all,I

My head scan this afternoon was never meant to be comic fooder but you just never know, do you?

Some  of you with pancreatic tumours will know that abdominal gas release is common and debilitating. So when I arrived at radiology today I ponderedvonbhow embarrassing it would be to ‘let rip’ on the scanning couch. Made a quick decision to visit the loo next to radiology theatre to prevent this. The changing area was empty., It was quite a symphony actually, filled with long drawn out, high-pitched  noises.  I felt oddly proud. And relaxed. On emerging from the loo, I discovered the radiologist  standing right outside, tapping a clipboard. She called my name loudly...

i should say I’ve always found fart jokes  very puerile and unamusing but what’s to be done when the joke’s on you?  

Pepys 

Lady Pepys
Posted by

Hello Kate,

i have posted my tale but suspect it’s visible only to me. Oh what s trial! I’d better write that email to admin. I know they’re doing their best. 

My son and DIL are having a girl. We are thrilled. I must admit my money was on a boy!

pepys xx

Jess - Macmillan
Posted by

Hi ,

I can see your post form the 10th, is this the one you are referring to?

Best wishes,

Jess

Macmillan Community Team

Lady Pepys
Posted by

Good morning Jess

i posted last night. I can find it in ‘latest activity’ but when I click on ‘late night ramblings’ the posts are from April! I miss not seeing posts in a sequential order. I have to hunt around! Strangely enough, the problem seems to have resolved in ‘Incurables’. 

Do you think all this is because I use my iPhone (browser Safari)? Previously it’s all been fine. 

Pepys xx

Jess - Macmillan
Posted by

Hi ,

I'm so sorry you're having so many problems! Can you send me some images of what you're seeing (community@macmillan.org.uk) It would really help when trying to investigate this.

I've had a look into your account and can't see that you posted last night in 'late night ramblings', only in 'Yoo hoo!'

If you can see the post that you posted last night, can you share that with me via email as well so I can try and hunt it down!?

Thanks and so sorry for the inconvenience.

Jess

Lady Pepys
Posted by

Dear Jess,

sorry, I think I must have posted on 10th. Sorry to confuse. However I still have the problem of only seeing the posts from April 19 when clicking into ‘Kate night ramblings’

pepys xx

Jess - Macmillan
Posted by

Don't worry :)

Does clicking onto this take you to the last page (page 23)?

Lady Pepys
Posted by

Hi Jess, yes it does!