Pancreatic cancer

Affected by pancreatic cancer? Join this group to share experiences and ask questions to people who understand what you're going through.

Very scared

rmjj64
Posted by

I am 53 yr old female v overweight. A year ago had weeks of nausea and vomiting when going from lying down to sittinv up in morning. Upper abdominal ultrasound d

Feb 17 was clear. Long story but over months had endoscopy and colonoscopy all clear. July 17 one epusode of sickness immed after eating dinner...didnt even finish it before sick. Now 4 feb sick once after 3 bites of lunch. Week later left flank pain and left groin pain over 4 days and same again following week. Now got pain mid back. 

Always been petrified of pancreatic cancer and now think i have it. Docs took blood tuesday. 

Mother died last friday funeral tuesday and all i think about is that i am going to be following soon. Apologies fo all on this site  if that offends i dont kniw how to express fears in different way.

Lady Pepys
Posted by

Dear rmji,

I am so sorry you’ve lost your mum. This must be a very difficult time for you with the funeral coming up.

I understand that you feel unwell but, from what you say, the episodes of sickness etc are spaced quite a long time apart. I say this because if the symptoms were relentless, there might be more reason to believe you had a serious illness. I’m no expert but what you describe doesn’t sound like pancreatic cancer. You say you are afraid of it? Has someone in your family had it? Please do not jump to conclusions though it easy to do so, especially if you are unhappy.

There are a number of things that could explain your symptoms and pancreatic cancer is only a remote possibility. Your imaging tests were clear last year, isn’t that a good thing? If your blood test and any other tests your doctor orders are clear, then perhaps you just need to work at getting fit, as we all do.  Maybe some counselling would also help? 

All the very best

Pepys xx

rmjj64
Posted by

Hello pepys

Thanks for ur reply. I would love to believe it's not pancreatic cancer but the weight loss abdominal pains dark yellow urine are difficult to get past. We are only just getting my dad sorted out and I cannot imagine heaping more bad news on them. Blood tests may be back today so I guess we have to wait for them.

Lady Pepys
Posted by

My fingers are crossed for you that it’s something far less serious. It’s a hard time for you  Do let us know. X

rmjj64
Posted by

Just phoned for blood test results. All are satisfactory. ..what does that mean? One still not back which is glucose test.

Is there a difference between normal results and satisfactory? Going to speak to doc Tuesday ...only time I can get her.

Lady Pepys
Posted by

Hello, 

that sounds like good news to me but as you say, best to talk to your gp.

satisactory will mean within the normal range. Get a printout so you can check for yourself.

pepys xx

rmjj64
Posted by

Just realised that looking back a number of weeks I have had a few bouts of real fatigue and now have discomfort beneath left shoulderblade. There seems no other possibilities to me than pancreatic cancer and I am so scared.

Lady Pepys
Posted by

Good morning. Do try to remember that a number of other ailments which could describe your symptoms. It is very difficult to diagnose pancreatic cancer but put some trust in your doctor during in all these tests

i wondered if your mum’s funeral was thus or next Friday. I do feel for you. Losing a parent is one of the worst things we face. My thoughts are with you.

pepys xx

rmjj64
Posted by

Hello Pepys 

The funeral is this Tuesday com8ng 27th Feb.think I am in denial.

Ruth

Lady Pepys
Posted by

Dear rmjj,

so difficult. I suggest you try to push all thoughts of illness to the back of your mind  until the funeral is over. Easy to say I know but otherwise you will become terribly anxious. Hope you have support from family. Xx

rmjj64
Posted by

Pepys

I am trying but last blood test is back and shows glucose levels raised. I think writing is on the wall. I have to convince gp tomorrow to refer for ct.

Lady Pepys
Posted by

Hello Ruth,

i have no no medical expertise but I do know raised glucose can be caused by a number of ailments so I would urge you not to jump to conclusions. Meanwhile you need all your reserves of strength to get through tomorrow. 

All the best 

Pepys xx

Docto

Kacang
Posted by

Hi Ruth - it sounds like you're going through a difficult and stressful time right now. My heart goes out to you. 

High blood sugar levels can be caused by several underlying problems, not just pancreatic cancer. For example (although this wouldn't apply to you) I was given steroids during chemo, which sent my blood glucose level (BGL)through the roof and left me with diabetes type 2.  The most common cause of high BGL is diabetes and more likely diabetes type 2 (type 1 is usually diagosed at a young age). Uncontrolled diabetes can make you feel really ill but once you get your blood glucose under control, type 2 is pretty easy to manage. I'm not saying you have diabetes but trying to give you an illustration of a disease other than pancreatic cancer that your symptoms could represent. 

I also know that grief and stress can manifest themselves  in physical symptoms. You have clearly been very affected by your mum's passing and that's perfectly normal. If you are finding it hard to cope, please talk to your GP about it. He may recommend some counselling or other support for you. 

I hope your mum's funeral goes well today and you are left with a feeling of comfort that she is now at peace. 

Do work closely with your GP. He (or she) will either be able to sort you out or will refer you for further help. 

Wishing you all the very best. 

rmjj64
Posted by

Hello 

Thanks for your reply. My fear is that it's pancreatic cancer causing symptoms of diabetes and along with weight loss dark urine stabbing pains mid back that all this adds up to my worst fear.

My mother's funeral was today and while that is over I think only of the pain that any diagnosis such as I fear will cause the family.

Spoke to go today who still doesn't think it's pancreatic cancer but who has agreed to refer me privately for ct scan which is either this week or early next.

Supportplease
Posted by

Hello. I have read through the posts & firstly I hope your mums funeral went ok-its a very hard thing to do so you've done it now, which will hopefully give you some relief of worry, about that anyway. You sound very worried & convinced you have pc. As alot have said, it sounds like it's not & your investigations so far say this too, so remember that.

The dark urine may be that your possibly dehydrated? With your mums funeral & the stress of that-could this be a possibility? & if you're not drinking enough-are you not eating aslo which could be the weight loss? I don't mean to sound flippant but with the funeral this would not be uncommon.

But you're obviously worried so i would say see your GP & tell him your fears.It may be stress related, which given your circumstances is not surprizing.

I hope you are ok? Jx