Pancreatic cancer

A group for anyone affected by cancer of the pancreas to get together, ask questions, share experiences and support each other.

Eating and PC

LT14
Posted by

Hi, i dont comment on here because i know absolutely nothing about this type of cancer other than it destroys peoples lives. However i read every post daily and you all have so many experiences with this disease. My mum was diagnosed back in April and before that she was fit and healthy and had no problems at all but now we cant get her to eat at all and we are really worried. At first she was drinking ensures and stomaching some food but now its nothing and the weight is falling off her and she didnt have any to lose before all of this. Have any of you got any ideas on food or anything doctors can prescribe to help maintain her weight. She into her 6stone's now so cannot lose anymore. Thanks xx

Squeaky
Posted by

LT54

Thanks for posting again. Unfortunately as a few folks have posted here many people with PC don't seem to want to eat. Ensure drinks are one way of getting some calories but if your Mum isn't wanting to take food then it's difficult to use them. It's probably worth a visit to the GP to see if they can help.

Squeaky

Mapeda
Posted by

LT14, from my own post-op challenges eating, forget meals and surround her with as many varieties of snacks as you can think of. Biscuits, cake, salted nuts, crisps, pizza, etc, etc. That way it maximises her chances of finding something with calories she'd quite like. Also homemade shakes with fruit, milk, ice cream and syrup - not the chemical tasting things that get prescribed.

Very best of luck!

Martin

Squeaky
Posted by
glory
Posted by

Has anyone got any advise  , my 52 year old son  with inoperable pancreatic cancer metastasis in liver  had one chemo 10 days ago. He wants to give it up ,he is still in pain  we spent all day in Hosp yesterday and it turns out he suffers from constipation with overflow, So every time he goes to the toilet he passes water only. He does hardly eat anything, now he feels it is not worse carrying on .I am very devastated I enquired re   robotic    surgery , has anyone heard of this ???

Thank you for reading this

Glory 

Ohanamom
Posted by

Hello Glory,

I'm so sorry to hear that your son is having so much trouble after his first chemo session and that he is feeling so hopeless. I don't know if it would help at all to tell him that my 76 year old mother in law was feeling the same way after her first chemo session and this past week she has been better physically, emotionally and energy wise than she has been in many months! We were all very surprisingly shocked. After her first chemo she developed non stop diarrhea about 11 times a day, ran a fever, had nausea constantly and said to me that she didn't think it was worth fighting anymore. She was placed in intensive care for a few days and we all were afraid this was going to be the turning point. She spent a total of 11 days in the hospital and had also developed a C-Dificile infection while in. Her first day home from the hospital she danced with my father in law, started eating 3 meals a day and snacks, has been to visit friends twice last week and went looking for a new rental home as well as shopping for some items for the home. Prior to this she hadn't gotten off the couch or done anything for herself in the last few months. All this to say that she made a BIG turn around and has such a positive outlook now. I hope that her story can encourage your son to push through this and keep fighting. I'm sending you big hugs and lots of love and prayers. I know as a mother, my heart breaks at the smallest challenges my kids face, I can't imagine the pain that you are going through. 

Squeaky
Posted by

Hi Glory

I hope you found Ohanamom's post helpful. It often takes some time to settle after the first chemo.

I don't really know anything about robotic surgery other than what I read on the Internet but it does not seem widely offered in the UK. I would really recommend that you contact Pancreatic Cancer UK and ask your questions there. I'm sure they will be able to help.

Squeaky

glory
Posted by

Thank you so much Omanomom (sorry spelled wrong ) , his next chemo is in 8 days time. he is so very constipated that he only passes liquid, so has been given suppositories and  oral laxative. he is in such pain with it ,  they would have kept him in the hosp. yesterday, but he refused as he thought he might pick something up .He does not sleep well at all and is around almost all night. I don't sleep as I know he is up . We seem to go around a circle . Eating seems to be almost none existing.

I am so glad your mum has picked up  and continues to improve. Thank you so much for yur chat.

Glory

glory
Posted by

Squeuky, thank you so much , yes I did find Ohnamons post helpful and only wish we be at that stage.

Glory 

Ohanamom
Posted by

Glory, 

I should have said that my MIL's 2nd session of chemo (today) was postponed by two weeks due to all the issues. Maybe your son could take a little break until he is feeling better. I'm no Dr. by any means but I wouldn't think that 2 weeks would make much of a difference and it's always better to feel stronger going into a chemo session. I hope that he improves a lot over the next couple of days.