Pancreatic cancer

Affected by pancreatic cancer? Join this group to share experiences and ask questions to people who understand what you're going through.

Very scared

Coconut1
Posted by

Soulcat,

There have been results where they’ve been able to shrink tumors with folfironox. It can happen. 

I’m on folfirnox now. I’ve been able to continue working. Everyone is different, so keep that in mind. I find the consumption of lots of fluids, especially the day before, the day of and the day after treatments make a difference for me. (64-96 ounces - doesn’t have to be just water). 

I am sending positive vibes your way. 

rmjj64
Posted by

Hi Pepys just keeping u updated as requested. It was a no go with gp as regards doing anymore. I showed her photos of the urine and told her of the sweating episodes. She just keeps going back to the 'extensive ct scan which only showed fatty liver. I asked to come back and she suggested a m9nths time.

Meanwhile the sweating is quite often and I can see a pattern when I eat fatty food then bowel movements go 'sticky and I get diarrhoea.i am still hugely concerned that this is due to pancreas

I am worried that the cancer is there but smaller than ct can see or it's in a difficult part for ct to see.

If I see another gp they say I should see one gp consistently e.g.my own.

Really don't know what to do to get any further so getting v down.

Serendipity4371
Posted by

Hi my mum has had 6 cycles of folfrinox on locally advanced tumour and has just been told its shrunk by 25%. She's going into mix of chemo and radio plus a trial drug.

I know everyone's different but keep hoping x 

Kacang
Posted by

Hi  I'm sad to see that you are still concerned about your health, despite the repeated reassurances from your GP. Seems to me there are a couple of things you could do to test whether the symptoms you are talking about are a sign of something serious or can be attributed to lifestyle factors. Firstly, try drinking a lot more water. That should make your wee change colour to pale green/straw colour. I'd say you'd need up to 2 litres per day but it's about getting your wee the right colour rather than a set amount. Secondly, if fatty food is causing you diarrhoea, then stop eating it. Or at least try to avoid fatty food for a month and see what happens. It's really quite common for fatty food to disagree with you. My husband always has bowel problems if he has even a normal amount of fatty food eg after having fish and chips. Avoiding fatty food would probably help with the fatty liver. 

Remember, your future is in your hands. You need to grab on to it. 

Wishing you all the best. 

Lady Pepys
Posted by

Dear Ruth,

I am so sorry you’re still feeling so anxious about all of this. Do not forget how much you’ve been through lately, what with your mothrt’s Death.

Now I see Kacang has given you a lot of very good practical advice and I would second this. Why not give it a go for a set amount of time before approaching the GP again?

I am sure you don’t have pancreatic cancer Ruth but the symptoms you describe may be one of a number of things. 

Have you considered a private consultation? Or even perhaps some investigation into whether your symptoms could be due to a serious health anxiety, which we all know can cause many many symptoms. I feel you have been suffering and should consider all possibilities.

Have you spoken to family about any of this? You have just lost your mum. You must be feeling quite sad right now.

Pepys xx

rmjj64
Posted by

Hi Kacang

thank you for the practical advice. I will indeed try what you suggest re the drinking water and avoiding fatty food . I usually have a low fat diet but didnt think that would test the non absorprtion of fat symptom. I know that i dont drink enough water and never have probably. it was just that the urine colour, the sticky stool and more recently episodes of sweating are haunting my head. I admit to havinig health anxiety in any case and i have had counselling for it in the past.

I am sure i should be grabbing onto my future....just not sure how.

Thanks so much for takling the time to respond to me

~Ruth

Kacang
Posted by

Yep - give it a go Ruth. You've got nothing to lose. 

As for your future, I'm no expert. Have you thought of trying some counselling. It seems to me that you need a bit of help to deal with your health anxiety and probably also your mum's passing. 

rmjj64
Posted by

HI Kacang

Yes i have recently attended a counselling session with a new organisation but didnt take to the counsellor so i am on the hunt again. Losing my mum is in my head every day - and lets face it there is not much room in there with the health anxiety etc. I seem at the moment to have come off lightly as regards dealing with it but i think that is probably because i am not dealing with it.

Trying to find the right counsellor and type of therapy is a bit of a minefield.

Thanks as always

Ruth

Lady Pepys
Posted by

Dear Ruth,

Today I was looking at websites for support of health anxieties and there are many. I suppode others might be able to give you advice about good therapists. Having a bad one must be worse than anything. I had one once and ended up quite upset. After my divorce. The therapist was seeing my ex husband too dons i didntvrealise until he  said sonething I hadn’t told him...but the ex had! Talk about unprofessional, I did tackle him, he claimed he didn’t know. So just be careful.,I notice lots of people on the health anxiety websites go for CBT therapy.

I do have experience of such anxiety after my mother died. I even gave up my job in the end, I simply couldn’t cope.

Ruth, I’m not suggesting that health anxiety is definitely what’s happening with you but it’s worth considering in the light of recent events. Doctors can be less than helpful when they feel they’ve exhausted the possibilities and conducted all necessary tests so I guess you have little option  but to explore further.

And in the meantime,,take good care of yourself, as Kacang has advised.

Pepys xx

Splodge321
Posted by

Hi Pepys 

Hope you’ve had fun with the wigs today xx

Lady Pepys
Posted by

Hi Kste,

I was a bit busy today squabbling with ex husband about clearingvof my garden. He was very helpful actually but what a bossy git! Every time I turned my back he was out there interfering with things he wasn’t meant to touch! Cutting back things he dislikes. 

So wig gin is a little delayed. I’ve lost around half my hair and eldest son will be here tomorrow to clip it all off. Honestly, it looks pitiful, I’m losing it so fast.

I was really happy to get out today in the beautiful sun after three days not very well indoors. I actually felt alright. I mean ‘alright’ is as good as it gets.

Hope you and mum are well. It really gladdens my heart reagong about her progress. Long may she continue to outlive her prognosis. What do they know?

Pepys XX 

Lady Pepys
Posted by

..,et..,ignore that ‘wig gin’ Kate. What was I thinking?!

Splodge321
Posted by

Wig gin? I like the sound of that, kind of quirky. 

What the heck are ex husbands for if not being irritating. I am very fortunate that my x is Dutch and we had no children so when we split it was totally finished. No more irritation lol.

Today my mum is well thanks for asking. We take each day as it comes. 

Sleep tight lovely lady xx

Lady Pepys
Posted by

Hi Kate,

My lasts ex was also Dutch. Very damned handsome. I never fancied living in Holland though and he hated London (which sort of annoyed me).,he still rings from time to time. From Holland of course. 

Ah! The ones that got away...

Pepys xx

Splodge321
Posted by

I wish mine had got away lol. I spent 7 years living in Holland trying to speak the ridiculously difficult language only to be traded in for a younger model! I definitely think it was the 7 year itch x