Ovarian cancer

A support group for anyone affected by ovarian cancer to come together, share experiences, and ask questions.

Mom recently diagnosed with Stage 4 Ovarian cancer (out of the blue)

Holz94
Posted by

Hello ladies,

I hope you are all keeping well. 

I thought I would share some positive news with you all... yesterday mum had her de-bulking operation (after 6 lots of chemo). After hours of sitting by the phone, waiting for it to ring with some news from the surgeon, we got the most fantastic news! The surgeon has told us that they have managed to remove all of the visible cancer and this may mean that she is 'clinically cancer free'!!! 

I went to visit mum in the high dependency unit after the surgery yesterday and told her the amazing news... with all the drugs in her system, i still dont think she quite knows whats going on!

I left the hospital last night very emotional. We received the best news we could ever hope for but its also so hard seeing your mum in such a fragile state but i know day-by-day her strength will build up and we can start living life to the max! 

Mum was diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer in September 2017 and has had 6 lots of chemo, de-bulking surgery and the plan is to have 2 more lots of chemo after. The surgeon said that when they had a look inside it was clear that the chemo had been working very well but mum thinks that its also all the other things that shr has been trying. Shes been eating raw garlic, drinking carrot and beetroot juice, doing yoga and trying to stay positive everyday and i think all of this has gone a long way in her recovery!

Please stay positive because miracles do happen! 

Sending you all positive vibes xx

Dollymix4
Posted by

Brilliant news!

So pleased for your mum...

Definitely great news to share xx

NattyP123
Posted by

Hi,

That’s amazing news! Thank you for sharing- it’s always good to hear the positive stories. I agree that it helps to eat well and try to stay positive. Your mum will build her strength back up gradually, and be able to have little walks in the sun, when it finally arrives! 

Hugs to you both,

Natalie xx

JayKay8
Posted by

Hi Everyone

I'm delighted to read the good news about your mum's surgery, Hollie, and best wishes to everyone on this thread - whether they have ovarian cancer themselves or are posting on behalf of a relative.

One thing I'd like to mention is the importance of people with the most common form of ovarian cancer being tested for a BRCA mutation.  It seems that the majority of hospitals are now doing this, but in case you or your relative hasn't been offered genetic counselling and testing then do please ask about it, as it can affect the choice of treatment, (although first-line chemo is usually standard) as well as enabling relatives to take risk-reducing options if a mutation is found.

It seems that people with a BRCA mutation are likely to respond better to platinum-based chemo than those without such a mutation, so for those of you (or your relatives) who have responded particularly well to carboplatin it would seem to be particularly important to be tested for BRCA mutations. 

If you want to know more about BRCA mutations then Ovarian Cancer Action have some useful info.

Best wishes to everyone!

Tracyj95
Posted by

Amazing Holz94

I'm so pleased for both you and your mom. 

xx

eh11g11
Posted by

So pleased for you, your mum and all your family Hollie! Hope her recovery is going well and she is getting stronger by the day xx

JAYLEY
Posted by

This is fantastic news, and gives me some hope for the future!