Non-Hodgkin lymphoma

Affected by NHL? Join this group to share experiences and ask questions to people who understand what you're going through.

Has anyone developed atelectasis while having NH mediastinal lymphoma?

ValeriaW
Posted by

My dad has NH lymphoma stage 4 with a mediastinal tumor and one more on his liver. He is undergoing RCHOP and after 3rd round his usual dry cough came back, after scans and xrays they found a pleural effusion, atelectasis and possible infection.

However, the other lymphoma tumor on his liver reduced a lot, but I’m wondering if it’s possible that despite reduction of the liver tumor, the mediastinal tumor grew and caused the atelectasis and pleural effusion. Also I can’t find a statement of the original measurements of the mediastinal tumor so I can’t compare and determine if it grew or shrank. Tomorrow we’ll go to the oncologist, but I can’t help wondering and worrying. 

johnr
Posted by

Hi first re the size of the tumour all you have to do is ask as they will have the info from the original scan, what I would suggest tomorrow is you ask they to show you and talk you through the 2 scans and explain whats different and what is different in the state of the lungs.

Re his problems and the collapsed lung it could be its all interlinked with his lung issues which if I remember were present at the time he was diagnosed with lymphoma. 

Re treatment going forward you could ask would adding etopiside to the rchop help or is the a different regime they suggest using assuming his chest mass has not reduced. 

In 99% of cases if the chemo has reduced nodes or masses in one are it will have done the same to the other areas too, as its the same disease in both areas as its the same mutation in the cell thats dividing and becoming lymphoma and its the same chemo thats killing off the cells throughout the body, it does not miss areas as it circulates in the blood.

So try not to worry and go prepared with the questions you want to, or need to ask.

Let us know how it goes

john

Thehighlander
Posted by

Hi Valeria, welcome to the Online Community and we are always sorry to find new folks find us.

We are not experts but patients with a track record with our treatments for NHL. My condition and treatments were very different from that of your dad but I did have various lung issues, no collapse or closure of my lungs but as I have Pleural Thickening and Pleural Plaque caused by Asbestosis so was on oxygen for a lot of my treatments as my chest consultant did recon that my chemo R-EPOCH and the chemo used in my Stem Cell Transplants did have a negative effect on my lungs, I also have had lots of issues with Chest Infections, Lung Fungal Infections, the RSV Virus and Pneumonia over the past two winters after the end of my treatments.

This has ended up being a small ramble but it just highlights how treatments can have effects on the body.

Let's look for others to come back with some specific experience from their journey.

We are always around to help out.

ValeriaW
Posted by

Thank you so much, and I will ask the oncologist tomorrow. 

ValeriaW
Posted by

Thank you, you brought interesting points and yes I will ask all that tomorrow.

ValeriaW
Posted by

Hi, 

I’ve noticed that as we go further in treatment more questions arise, but anyways, my dad’s pleural effusion is still there 15% so the cough is still there too. His tumors reduced half the size, bloodwork shows low albumin, hemoglobin and monocytes. Oncologist said he’ll need 8 rounds of RCHOP and then radiation. We went to a bigger city to ask second opinion/ reassurance, and the oncologist said he wants to see the biopsy slides, that my dad should’ve had a bone marrow test, that RCHOP treatment is fine except for cyclophosphamide dose which needs to be higher, that my dad has deep vein thrombosys, and that higher dose of prednisone should ease the pleural effusion and cough. He told us to continue the chemo in our town and he would call us if he notices something after looking at those biopsy slides. 

My question is, what happens if you dont have a bone marrow test and should’ve had it prior treatment? and is it likely they missed something during diagnosis? 

johnr
Posted by

Not a lot to worry about, the reason they check the bone marrow is to see if any lymphoma is present, if its not then post treatment all they need to do is scan the body to confirm if treatment has worked. If a positive test result came back from the marrow then they must do another BMB post treatment to ensure no lymphoma has survived and then they can confirm remission.

hope this puts your mind at rest and your dad should have a BMB post treatment just to make sure.

John