Myeloma

Myeloma is a cancer of plasma cells in the bone marrow. If you're suffering from myeloma, or know someone who is, join this support group.

Further options?

Whisper 2003
Posted by

Its now 9 weeks since my femur snapped and it was fitted with a femoral nail. For the first 6 weeks progress was slowly made towards normal healing. From then on the pain and swelling has only got worse so I went  to GP on Monday for painkillers and she sent me straight back to A & E with a letter to see orthopedics. 7 hours in a hospital wheelchair didn't help the pain much! 

Blood tests revealed no infection and the Xrays showed cancer around the femur and nail so back to oncology..I see my consultant next Tuesday but at the last appointment on the 11 March she indicated that she has not much to offer bar radiotherapy.

Does anyone know how the system/funding works for this? I had PAD for 4 cycles and later IRd as maintenance for 4 cycles, interrupted by loss of records and no appointment. Is there no third option? As I have non secretory plasmacytomas/myeloma I know I don't qualify for clinical trials.

greg777
Posted by

Hi Whisper,

I am really sorry to read about what you are having to deal with at the moment. I’m hoping that someone with experience of your situation will reply soon, although I don’t think we have many members on here who have been through multiple treatment regimes. One idea that crossed my mind was to look on the Myeloma UK forum, as I know there are quite a few people on there who are on 3rd, 4th and sometimes 5th line treatments, and so they may have some insight which may be of use to you at what must be a very difficult time.

Please stick around here as well though as I’m sure your experience will be greatly invaluable, and I’m hoping that someone will be along soon who has some experience to help you.

Greg