Myeloma

Myeloma is a cancer of plasma cells in the bone marrow. If you're suffering from myeloma, or know someone who is, join this support group.

treatment

mollygirl1245
Posted by

Hi all, my husband was given Vitim D high doss what will it do for him or is this just the start can any one give me some information and can any one also give me more information on the stages  1-4 

Johnty
Posted by

Dear molly, it is not unsual for vitamin d levels in newly diagnosed multiple myeloma patients to be below par so there's no need to worry.

as far as staging, this is a highly sophisticated procedure and is important as it will dictate the kind of treatment your husband will receive.

my advice is try not to analyse things too much, all mm patients are utterly unique and comparisons between patients are not informative.

you and your husband have a long road ahead of you but you will find lots of support in this forum to gently guide you on your path, I have finished treatment and am in remission so there is lots to be hopeful about.

J

greg777
Posted by

Hi Molly,

Just wanted to add that with myeloma, there are only 3 stages but to a large extent the staging doesn’t really matter, like it can matter in other cancers. What is much more important is how your husband responds to treatment. How has been getting on so far?

Also, with Vit D, I think it can be quite common to be deficient in this, I was deficient last winter and it was 2 years since my last treatment. So try not to worry too much about it if you can.

As Johnty says, it’s a marathon not a sprint with myeloma, so look after yourself as best you can at this phase, and please stick around, I am hoping you will get a lot of support on this forum.

All the best

Greg

mollygirl1245
Posted by

Hi Greg 

Many thanks for your email I do feel a lot better in myself after reading your email as far as my husband is concerned he has lots of pain in his legs and can not walk to far he is eating but very poor at the moment and also sleeps a lot he also has long lung that does not help thanks again marge 

mollygirl1245
Posted by

Hi johnny many thanks to you too for your message every one has been so helpful and i wish you all the best in your remission keep me up to date with your progress as i would like to hear from you many thanks marge  

Johnty
Posted by

J

greg777
Posted by

Hi Marge 

Thanks for your post, I am glad mine helped a little.

I am not sure how long your husband has been having treatment, but one thing I would say is that over the past 3 years of being on this site, I have come across a lot of people who were in excruciating pain on diagnosis but as soon as treatment started working, their pain got lots better - I am really hoping your husband will find the same. And please do keep us updated as to how he gets along.

Greg