Myeloma

Myeloma is a cancer of plasma cells in the bone marrow. If you're suffering from myeloma, or know someone who is, join this support group.

Paraprotein

claraH
Posted by

im a little coconfused as my paraprotein levels have dropped without any treatment, has this happened to anyone else? 

The doctor has suggested sending me for an endoscopy, should i be alarmed?  

clara 
greg777
Posted by

Hi Clara,

I am not a medical expert, so you should definitely trust the advice of your medical team. I just wanted to say that blood results can naturally fluctuate. The trend is much more important than one particular test result.

In terms of the endoscopy, it is hard to say without knowing a bit more of your background. I don't think there is a common link between myeloma and the need for an endoscopy, but hopefully someone will be along soon who might have some specific experience.

All the best,

Greg

vinyl
Posted by

hi there

im not sure about falling on their own , but i would say that through experience ive found that blood tests alone can be misleading.

Having had 4 cycles of VTD i was judged ready to go forward on to SCT. however this was to be finalised by a bone marrow biopsy.

and contrary to my bloods , that showed i still had 50% malignant plasma cells , when my doctors expected to be 10% or less. This means further treatment to bring levels down.

i hope it is good news for you , that would be fantastic . but i would agree with greg and let your doctor be ya guide on this one

good luck 

vinny