Myeloma

Myeloma is a cancer of plasma cells in the bone marrow. If you're suffering from myeloma, or know someone who is, join this support group.

Remission bone pain

Steve..fats
Posted by

Been in remission for about a year but just lately  the bone pain is back and worse than ever. Doctors have done tests but waiting for results   Need some tips on coping

greg777
Posted by

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum although i’m sorry for the reason you posted. I am really hoping that the bone pain is one of those things that will pass and the results come back fine. I think fear of recurrence weighs heavily on all myeloma patients’ minds. For me, I use distraction as a coping mechanism. Whenever I feel anxious or feel a low mood coming on, I force myself to do something that will take my mind off things - something active rather than passive I think is best. Do you have any hobbies you could focus on while you wait for the results? Meditation is also great if you practice that too?

Please keep in contact - we are all here to support one another on here.

Greg

Steve..fats
Posted by

I usually just throw myself into work currently working forty hours a week in between dialysis and family but some reason I just can’t seem to distract myself.  The pain is becoming more and more intense 

greg777
Posted by

Hi Steve,

I’m really sorry about your pain levels. I’ve been lucky that I’ve never really experienced bad pain. Hopefully someone will be along soon who has. Are there strong painkillers you could ask your medical team for? I’m hoping if the pain gets under control, it’ll be easier to take your mind off things.

All the best,

Greg

Robin58
Posted by

I've managed 2 get co codamol and tramadol for my broken ribs and bone pain also as Gregg mentioned the bone strength meds am due a prescription on wensday I've had 2 give up work it's wiped me out guess everyone's different there's so many differences 2 this myloma hope fully remisions not far off 4 us all 

Dickielex
Posted by

Have you had x-rays? My partner's myeloma was painless until (on two occasions) severe pain led to x-rays which in turn revealed vertebral crush fractures. These were awful and only endured thanks to morphine patches and Oramorph. But HOORAY they were very successfully dealt with by two sessions of radio therapy. Several years of Zometa have helped prevent a recurrence. I hope your pain isn't the result of cracks or breaks but pain CAN be relieved if that is what causes you pain. I hope all goes well for you

Shaun3
Posted by

Hi Steve,

I've not experienced any significant pain as of yet (which I know doesn't help you) but a a fellow Myeloma warrior I just wanted to send good thoughts your way.

Best

Shaun

Will6
Posted by

After a fair bit of trial and error hubby is now settled on morphine tablets with the liquid as a back up. Each time we reached three doses of liquid per day the tablets  were increased until we now seem to have found a dose that’s working enough to enable him to cope. The pain is from multiple spinal fractures which is how the Myeloma was discovered. He is due to have his second infusion tomorrow and ends his second session of chemo tomorrow. 

Good luck.