My mum is due to begin the Mars 2 trial in a few weeks time. We believe her staging is still at a lower level and has not had any treatment yet - symptoms started in Sept 18 and diagnosed in April 19.
Would love to chat to other people who have been through the Mars 2 trial to see how it went for them .
Feels like a minefield knowing what is best as some of the stories I read are about waiting for symptoms to occur and blast with chemo and others go onto trials which as of yet no data is available.
This site is definitely an incredible resource - for support, information, recommendations and above all hope.
Hi Jocoju and welcome to the online community
I'm sorry to hear about your mum's diagnosis but it's great that you're finding this site a good resource.
I have no experience with this trial but if you type 'mars' into the search bar in this group you'll find quite a few recent posts discussing it. You could then respond to any that you feel are relevant to your mum's circumstances to find out how people are getting on.
When you have a minute it would be really useful if could pop something about your mum's journey so far into your profile as it helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Edit Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.
"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"
What is a Community Champion?
My Dad hasn't personally been through the trial and he's opting not to go for it anyway. He's physically fit and would be able to tolerate the operation but it's the fact that it's a HUGE operation and has a long recovery time. From what we've read and spoke about with the doctors and nurses, it's about 8-10 hours long, recovery is in ICU for a few days and is over a ten day stay in the hospital. After that I've heard it takes about 6-9 months of recovery at home. For some this is enough to extend their lives by a few years, for others, by the time the recovery time is over they are already showing signs of the disease again.
It's a big, big decision because of the pros and cons (quality of life v outcome) as I'm sure you're aware. There are a few success stories on this website of some that have had the more extreme form of the operation (I think it's the one where they remove the entire lung?) but from what I've read those are rare compared to the norm.
If it helps, my Dad and I were ALL for the operation when he was first diagnosed but the more we spoke to experts and others he decided it didn't feel like it was worth it. If there was a 50/50 chance or even a 40/60 chance it would 'get rid of the disease' for a considerable amount of time (read: 5 years.) then he'd have said sure. The facts are more grim than that but don't let that put you off... I know on here there are definitely a few that have had success with the trial.
Thank you for your reply and the reasons that your dad decided not to go on the trial.
It really is a minefield of getting a balance of giving things a go for some extra time to it not exasperating the symptoms.
My mum is due to start in the coming weeks, as chemotherapy is offered first - she will undertake this and if she is then offered surgery we will review it again.
Hope your dad is still keeping well.
Safe payments by:
We're here to provide physical, financial and emotional support. So whatever cancer throws your way, we're right there with you.
© Macmillan Cancer Support
© Macmillan Cancer Support, registered charity in England and Wales (261017), Scotland (SC039907) and the Isle of Man
(604). Also operating in Northern Ireland. A company limited by guarantee, registered in England and Wales company
number 2400969. Isle of Man company number 4694F. Registered office: 89 Albert Embankment, London SE1 7UQ. VAT no: