Mesothelioma

A place for people affected by mesothelioma to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

My brother about to start chemo for Mesothelioma - B12 injection

my dear twin
Posted by

Hello to the wonderful people in this online community. 

My twin brother has just been diagnosed with sarcomatoid mesothelioma. 

He will start chemo on 2 April and needs to have a B12 injection. To fit in with work it suits him to have the injection on Tuesday which, including the day of the injection to the day of chemo is 8 days. Is that too early to have the injection? I read somewhere that it should be within 5 days of chemo. 

Thank you and wishing you all the very best.

pottermouse
Posted by

Hi my husband had his B12 injection 9 days before he started his chemo and I think it lasts for three months good luck and hope all goes well X 

my dear twin
Posted by

Great to hear, thanks so much for getting back to me. Was it for chemo for Mesothelioma too?

x

pottermouse
Posted by

Yes hubby has pleural mesothelioma was diagnosed last January 2018 and had surgery in May but the tumor has returned and has just started chemotherapy and had the second treatment Wednesday so far he is doing OK hope all goes well with your twin X 

Sky is the limit

Hello, my partner was having B12 injection 3 days or 5 days before chemotherapy.

I hope all goes well. 

Sky is the limit

Is he on a clinical trial ?, my partner at 33yrs old was diagnosed with mesothelioma in March last year. He has just completed his chemotherapy but still doing the trial and we don't know  for how long.

S

PollyJack
Posted by

Hi my Dad has mesothelioma- too ill for trial but has had 3 rounds of chemo. We’ve been for a CT Scan today and get results next week, if the chemo is shrinking the Meso he will have 1-3 more rounds.

he had B12 injection prior and was started on folic acid. 

Hope al goes well xx 

Polly
my dear twin
Posted by

So very sorry to hear that. What a terrible battle he has to face. I wish him all the very best. We are completely new to all of this and I fear my brother does not realise the tough road ahead.   

my dear twin
Posted by

Thanks so much. My brother has decided to get it 8 days ahead as it fits in with his work schedule...

my dear twin
Posted by

I'm so sorry to hear that. 33 is far too young. I didn't know you could do a trial and have chemo at the same time. Thank you, will bear that in mind.

I read about this on an american website but we haven't mentioned it yet to my brother as he just wants to do the treatment and hopefully contain it:

BAY94-9343 Offers Hope to Sarcomatoid Patients

BAY94-9343 is a new kind of immunotherapy drug that combines an antibody with an anti-cancer compound. The antibody part of the drug helps deliver the anti-cancer portion directly to cancerous cells, known as targeted therapy. This type of drug causes few side effects because it targets cancer cells, not surrounding healthy cells. BAY94-9343 is one of the few anti-cancer drugs that impacts sarcomatoid and biphasic mesothelioma cell types. This multicenter clinical trial administers the drug intravenously once a week for three weeks in a row.

my dear twin
Posted by

Thank you so much. Wishing your dad all the best with the results nest week.

We are so new to this, hospital never mentioned there could be more than 1 round. In fact, they said they would scan him half way through the sessions and if tumour is not shrinking they may advise he stops the treatment. Its stage 4.

Violetsniff
Posted by

Dear ....just popping in to say,I am so sorry to hear about your twin,and I note your ID name...so lovely.

just wanted to say ,I ,too,have a twin,and he was particularly upset when I got cancer....better now,and when I said “. i’m a cancer surviver” ,he showed me such love and appreciation for that.

I hope that you and your dear twin will be able to do the very same .Big lovesXxx

”The Bluebells Are Coming”

my dear twin
Posted by

Thank you! I can't stop thinking about him. So great to hear you beat it! Enjoy making more happy memories with your twin.

Lots of love

xxx