Mesothelioma

A place for people affected by mesothelioma to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

Very poorly very quickly - mesothelioma

PollyJack
Posted by

My Dad has been diagnosed with mesothelioma following a sudden pain and breathlessness which resulted in X-ray, CT scan and biopsies.

we are struggling to understand how something can take hold of you so quickly. In a matter of a few weeks he has gone from walking, gardening etc to more or less been housebound. He has lost so much weight and is breathless - has had a permanent drain in due to the fluid. 

he has been told not strong enough for MARS surgery and we find out this week if he is fit enough for chemotherapy.

heartbreaking that a fit man suddenly has very little quality of life and we all feel so helpless.  The tears just keep coming. 

am reading all other posts and realising what truely cruel diseases these cancers are. Touches so many lives. 

Polly
BirdK
Posted by

Hello Pollyjack - I am sorry you are here, if I can share any info please just ask.

Katie xx

Katie xx 

PollyJack
Posted by

Thank you  Very much appreciated. 

I’m not sure what I am looking for, My mind won’t switch off.

its the fear of what is to come and the pain he may be in. 

some days I’m convinced he will “get better” 

dreading thursday so much and the possibility of chemo not been an option. 

Polly
BirdK
Posted by

Hi Pollyjack. I have just sent a friend request, I’ll try to answer any questions and share what experience I have.

Katie xx 

PappaChappa
Posted by

Hi Polly,

So sorry for your fathers diagnosis, but your experience isn't uncommon, in my limited experience. You don't say how old Dad is, but most people are not diagnosed with any effects of this disease until they are in their 60's or not until postmortem.

I was diagnosed at the age of 54, (2 yrs ago) but my exposure was many years ago as a young man working in the iron and steel industries in the 1980's. Sadly this cancer has a very long latency period, and exposure is typically decades ago with no ill effects until people are into their 60's or even 70's.

There is lots of info about the disease if you want to look more into it, but personally I'd concentrate on maximizing your quality time with dad and try to remain as positive as possible. 

PollyJack
Posted by

Thank you for taking the time to reply 

you are of course right, we still have time to make some more memories.

i have read so much about this condition that upto last November I had never heard of.

dad was a very fit 76 year old who walked and was always gardening - now sadly confined to the house with the very odd trip to a garden centre - worked with asbestos about 40 years ago.

i wish you all the best in seeking further treatment and thank you again for your kindness

Polly 

Polly