Mesothelioma

A place for people affected by mesothelioma to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

Breathlessness

Lottybeb
Posted by

Hi I wonder if anyone else has had the same thing as my husband. Dec 2017 he was diagnosed with mesothelioma. He had two chemo’s which he sailed through. He was selected to take part in MARS 2 which took place in April. He was very, very poorly after that and it took some time to recover.

In Sept after a scan and other tests, we were told his cancer was in remission and he was well enough to continue with the chemo. After which he was very poorly but Docs said he would eventually improve. He has not improved at all and is extremely breathless to the point he cannot take more than a few steps without having to sit he can’t sleep lying down, lost his appetite and is losing the will to carry on. He has been in and out of hospital for weeks and days at a time. Every time he went in they had a different opinion at one stage they thought he was just having panic attacks and PTSD has been suggested.

In December 2018 after another scan it showed an enlarged heart,  the oncologist sent him to a cardiologist who suggested it could be angina and wanted to do an angiogram, sadly this procedure was cancelled as we travelled to the hospital. This was devastating news as we had pinned our hopes on this being the cause so we paid to go private sadly this showed that the heart was enlarged but otherwise in good condition. Now we are now where. His cancer is in remission, the lungs are working ok, the heart is obviously under strain from something but arteries are fine. All tests say he is ok however he is declining before my eyes ….. the Macmillan nurses are being contacted and OT sending various support beds, zimmers …. Has anyone been through this or have any clues?

latchbrook
Posted by

Hi and welcome to the online community

I see that you joined a long time ago but that this is your first post so I'm sorry to see that nobody has replied. 

I'm afraid I don't have the experience you seek but I did notice that your post had gone unanswered. Could I suggest that you give the Macmillan Support Line a call on 0808 808 0000. It's free to call, available daily between 8am and 8pm and you could speak to one of the experienced cancer nurses about your husband's symptoms.

I do hope you can find a solution soon.

x

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

What is a Community Champion?