Mesothelioma

A place for people affected by mesothelioma to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

Mesothelioma /ketogenic diet

checkpoint
Posted by

I wondered if anyone could share their experience relating to using a ketogenic diet as a treatment for mesothelioma?

src60
Posted by

Hi  and welcome to the community. Can I ask as you the person with this diagnosis?

Whatever decision you make it would be wise to discuss with your oncologist before embarking on major lifestyle changes. Have you been offeren any more conventional treatment? 

Sorry if this seems more questions than answers but good luck with whatever you choose.

<<hugs>>

Steve

checkpoint
Posted by

Hello Steve,

Yes, I'm the one. I was diagnosed in 2016, had the standard NHS treatment of Chemo, two courses, one in 2016 and, then one in 2017. At the time of the first chemo course I tried a ketogenic diet but with the side effects of the chemo felt I couldn't continue with the regime. Now, because there is no treatment currently on offer from the NHS, my treatment and hopes rely on regular exercise, taking supplements and reverting to the ketogenic diet. This is my third day back on the diet and I suppose I'm hoping for same positive response from this forum.

Thanks for the reply

src60
Posted by

Sorry to hear that you are at the end of active treatment, are you still in contact with the oncology team? My wife's cancer is very different Leiomyosarcoma and she has not had any treatment for some time but is being monitored and doing very well.

As with any treatment there are questions to be asked of benefits vs side effects and as ever the choice is yours. I can certaintly find research that suggests a ketotonic diet might be beneficial to people who are severely overweight. The benefits of regular exercise of course are well known to everyone, I was recently struggling with stress and my GP prescribed ecotherapy - i.e. go for a walk. Talking is often a great way of dealing with stress too and there is some evidence that suggests stress might be linked to worse outcomes with cancer - but at the moment it is only a weak link.

I wonder if you might have a local support group you could talk too, we have a tool in your area where you just enter your postcode and it will give you some contracts near to you. We are lucky that we have a Maggies really near us and I have found them a great place to talk.

<<hugs>>

Steve