Mesothelioma

A place for people affected by mesothelioma to support one another, ask questions, and share their experiences.

My dad has been diagnosed with mesothelioma...

Yazza77
Posted by

Hi all just felt I needed to speak to others who are going through or gone through the same..

My Dad was diagnosed with mesothelioma on the 19th of June unfortunately he is already very weak not eating or drinking a lot and we have been told that he only has 2-3 months typically he has spindle cell which appears to be more aggressive.

Me and my brother took our dad to St. George’s today ready for surgery tomorrow they are going to try and stick his lung to the rib cage and also put in a permanent drain as his chest keeps filling up and quickly so we are hoping this will allow him to be more comfortable in his last weeks it’s just heartbreaking seeing him decline so quickly.

Big hugs to all Sharon. Xx

Katie bird
Posted by

Hi Sharon - I am in the same boat.  My lovely dad, 83 years old on 02 July has had the VATs procedure with talc and has an inter-dwelling drain in place.  the op was 17 May so its been in quite some time.  The fluid that the district nurses are removing now each week has lessened significantly and dads say he feels better after the drain.

We are having difficulty getting dad to eat much, mum knows to get as many calaries as she can into his food which is mainly fruit and soup.

Dad was so fit and well until earlier this year it is hard to watch but every day is a blessing and sitting in the sushine helps,

Chemo is due to start next week but that seems so far away at the moment.

Stay positive - sending hugs to you and your dad. xx

Katie xx 

Negastone
Posted by

Sharon, my heart goes out to you. In times like these, you need to lift up your eyes and seek the help of the One who made you and who cares about you. Involve God in the situation by praying often and He will comfort and strengthen you. Commit the surgery into His hands and He will see to it that everything goes well. With God all things are possible. Take inspiration from Psalm 121. May God be with you and may He grant you grace and mercies so that you can experience peace. 

Yazza77
Posted by

Thank you Katie it’s good to hear the drain is helping with keeping him more comfortable dad is now back on the ward and is holding his own thankfully.

I would just like the chance for us to spend some quality time with him and make some memories before his time comes.

Big hugs Sharon. Xx

Yazza77
Posted by

Thank you for your words off support it’s much appreciated. 

Thanks Sharon. Xx

Katie bird
Posted by

Hi Sharon - I was just thinking about you and hoping things are going ok.

My dad is still at home and his eating has improved, his portion sizes have grown as his appitite has returned.  Mainly soups, fruit and soft food but seeing him eat anything after much of nothing is good. (Fortisips were recommended).

His is becoming weaker (has asked for a grab rail for the shower) but still manages to wash and dress himself - as it looks like your dads illness was diagnosed a month after mine I just want to share.

The palliative care team leader visited this week and she was excellent, well we thought so although we have nothing to compare, she did see dad on a good day and will call again next week to see if he presents in the same way.

One sadness was that my dad has started to sell all his treasured cycles, cycling was one of his passions until March 2018, it was upsetting to see them all in the garden being appraised.

Hugs to you.

Katie xx 

Yazza77
Posted by

Hi Kate,

My Dad is home but is still very weak and not eating or drinking a lot we now have a variety of fortisips for him to try it’s just heartbreaking watching his decline and knowing that our time is limited.. my mum taken it extremely hard also and it doesn’t help that she suffers with chronic pain with her back that was caused by looking after my disabled brother at home for 44 years and we nearly lost him at the end of last year when he had severe pancreatitis and ended up in hospital for just shy of 6 months...

He has been left with a peg feed for 15 hours a day and diabetes meticulous requiring 80 units of insulin in the morning and 26 in the evening! 

Thinking of you also big hugs Sharon. X